lostNworried asks:

How do I know if my son is autistic, ADHD, or has aspergers syndrom?

I have a four year old son who has been diagnosed with ADHD and Disruptive Behavioral disorder by his local pediatrition and mental health provider. They stuck him on clonodine at night time which only makes him fall asleep. He went through speech therapy and occupational therapy for sensory issues. It seems to be the diagnosis for kids in this area when they are said to have behavioral problems that they are ADHD. I don't feel confident in my pediatritions diagnosis and I have an apointment with a nurologist soon. I feel lost not knowing what is going on wiht my son but he's having trouble at school and when I read the symptoms on the autism online he meets a alot of the symptoms but the doctors don't get to see that. I don't know what to do really but he's getting harder and harder to deal with and I feel like I'm loosing my son and its affecting my daughter who is only six also. I'm a single mom with no one else to help me with him or to turn to for support. Does anyone have any suggestions of what route i should go, what to do, or what could be wrong with my son?
In Topics: Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome, Discipline and behavior challenges
> 60 days ago



Dec 9, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Bringing children up as a single parent is very challenging and having a child with behavioral issues makes it extra hard.  However, you sound like a mom who likes to ask questions to get help that your children need.  Kudos to you!

I am glad that you have an appointment with a neurologist as he or she will be able to throughly evaluate your son and suggest a treatment plan.

Suggested readings:

Understanding Autism


Hippotherapy: A New Therapy for Autism?


Asperger's syndrome




Best regards.
Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (1)

justice65 , Caregiver, Parent writes:
Hi ,
I know how you feel .As a single parent with two boys diagnosed with ADHD I know sometimes it can be frustrating.  The first thing you might want to do is to find a support group in your area for family of children with mental health issues, you can check this usefull website www.add.org .You also want to get the school psychologist and social worker involved to have your child evaluated  your child might need to be place in special education,  where they will have more trained proffesionals to handle your child so he can learn more productive ways of dealing with daily routines .
ADHD can also be a "mimic" to other disorders you can find more info in this website( http://www.thetruthbehindadhd.com. ) .  Just be patient and remember that you are the only one that can help your child . :-)
Good Luck ,Rose
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely