clip asks:

I have a son who is autistic. I am looking for a college where he can learn day-to-day tasks and educate him with help from a mentor.

In Topics: Getting ready for college, Special needs
> 60 days ago



May 28, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Dear Clip,

For more information on helping your son, you should visit the Achieving in Higher Education With Autism/Developmental Disabilities (AHEADD) website. They have information and resources for parents and teens on how to make college work for this special group of students. They have locations across the nation, but if they aren't in your area, they can likely provide some suggestions as to who you can work with.

Another interesting program is the West Virginia Autism Training Center at Marshall University:

Finally, for additional state specific information, the National Dissemination Center for Child with Disabilities (NICHCY) has a wonderful list of resources. Just select your state in the drop-down and go.

I hope this helps get you started on your research.


Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Child Psychologist
JustAsk Expert

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely