clip asks:

I have a son who is autistic. I am looking for a college where he can learn day-to-day tasks and educate him with help from a mentor.

In Topics: Getting ready for college, Special needs

Dear Clip,

For more information on helping your son, you should visit the Achieving in Higher Education With Autism/Developmental Disabilities (AHEADD) website. They have information and resources for parents and teens on how to make college work for this special group of students. They have locations across the nation, but if they aren't in your area, they can likely provide some suggestions as to who you can work with.

Another interesting program is the West Virginia Autism Training Center at Marshall University:

Finally, for additional state specific information, the National Dissemination Center for Child with Disabilities (NICHCY) has a wonderful list of resources. Just select your state in the drop-down and go.

I hope this helps get you started on your research.

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Child Psychologist