shalinig
shalinig asks:
Q:

son avoids writing

My son is in third standard,he is eight years old and is left handed.He is very slow in writing that he tries to avoid written work.All his classwork's are incomplete. His other classmates help him to finish his work. All his teachers send me complaints .He will write one or two lines, sometimes only few words and that's it, rest he will leave incomplete.I do not understand that he is lazy or has a genuine problem.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
raniya215
raniya215 writes:
MAYBE YOU SHOULD SIT DOWN WITH HIM AND WRITE SO HE WON'T FEEL ALONE.PLUS TELL OTHER PEOPLE STOP DOIN HIS WORK.HE DONT DO IT BECAUSE HE KNOWS SOMEBODY ELSE IS GONNA DO IT FOR HIM.GIVE HIM CONSEQUENCES.FOR EXAMPLE NO PLAY TIME.OR MAKE HIM WRITE FOR 5-10 MIN EACH DAY.GIVE HIM GOOD COMPLIMENTS

0
0
hlevitan
hlevitan , Teacher writes:
Shalinig,

Thank you for your post.  I am sorry to hear that your son is having difficulty writing.  Keep in mind that each learner develops at his or her own unique pace.  Just because he is having difficulty writing now does not mean he will always have trouble writing.  It is great to hear that his teachers are communicating with you.  Hopefully you can work more closely with them to better help your son if you haven’t already.  Here are some questions that you may want to ask to better help him:

Are his teachers allowing him to write with his left hand, or is he expected to just write with his right hand?
Do you think he would be more inclined to write if he has a left handed writing utensil?
Is English his first language, or is he now learning it in school?
Has he been tested for a learning disability?
Is he having difficulty physically writing the letters on the page, or is he having difficulty articulating writing content?

Perhaps he would write more effectively with more ease if he was given more time to write.  Maybe he would be more willing to write if he chooses a topic that interests him.  If he is having difficulty manipulating a writing utensil, he could write on a computer.  Once he produces written documents on the computer, he can be transitioned back to the pencil and paper.  If he is having difficulty articulating thoughts to write about, perhaps you and his teachers can work with him brainstorming ideas.  Writing is not solitary, but it is rather an interactive and social process.  

Feel free to provide more information about the details of the situation so I can provide more specific information.  Your post tells me that you are a concerned mother, and he is lucky to have you looking out for him.  Your persistence and attention to his learning needs will be one of the most important factors in helping him write.  

Thank you,

Hayley

This article is about the writing process and strategies for writing:  http://www.education.com/reference/article/cognitive-strategies-reading-writing/

Here is the section on Education.com on “Supporting Your Child’s Writing:”
http://www.education.com/topic/writing-supporting-your-child/

I hope this information will provide you with answers to better help your son.

0
0
Hello, and I'm sorry that you are not having more support from the teacher but rather "complaints". I'd like to say that each child has his or her own timing on some things. The best thing you can do is be positive. The teacher should be more optimistic. However, this is a completely different time period we live in. Your child just needs time to practice writing along with encouragement. I would start with a paragraph. This is usually 3 to 4 sentences in this age group. Try putting an apple in front of him and some cloves and a marker. Tell him to make a silly face using just the cloves and marker. Now have him write 3 sentences about the face. You may need to prompt him further and give him ideas. Remember, you are his model and so its his teacher. He can come up with ideas on his own, but he may need you to model it first ;)
Have fun with this and when he sees that he can write a little story about his apple character, this will give him some confidence. The cloves are a nice to use for the aromatherapy. I plan to use this reading exercise myself. ;) Good Luck!

1
0
williamholt
williamholt writes:
Writing is not an easy job. Many of students have same problem. Teach him the value of education.

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
Handwriting is very complex requiring thinking, organization, motor coordination, spelling and the list goes on.  Please speak with the teacher asking the wonderful questions the teacher above left for you.  Now is the time to help him through a professional so that he doesn't get further discouraged.  Thank you for taking the time to ask for help!

0
0