kenton12345678977
kenton12345... asks:
Q:

my son needs to make a bar graph using the number of letters in his name,can someone show us how this is done?

In Topics: School and Academics, Helping my child with math

|
laurenf
laurenf writes:
Hi Kenton,

On the Y-axis (vertical), I would put the letters in the alphabet - starting with A on the bottom and going up to Z.

On the X-axis (horizontal), I would write out his name (say it's Brandon).

For the "B" your bar would go up 2 vertical spaces, to line up with the "B" on the Y axis. For the "R" the bar would go up 18 vertical spaces to line up with the "R" on the Y axis...and so on.

1
0
smithovc
smithovc writes:
If he's doing a horizontal bar graph it's easy to use regular notebook paper: down the left side of paper have him write the letters A-Z (one on each line). Across the top of the paper put numbers (since my child has 14 letters, I'd mark off 0 to 14 Spacing the numbers as equally as he can). He'll need a ruler and he may have to tape 2 sheets together to have enough room.

Have your child write his name.  For instance my child's is Mark Allen Brian Smith.  Count the number of A's. That would be 3. So on the line beside the A I'd have him color the space out to 3. There is one B in his name so that bar would be colored to the 1. No C's so that bar would be left blank and so on. Obviously he's going to have more empty spaces than anything else but that would be correct.

Remember, let him do the work and you do the helping. It may not turn out perfect, but he'll get the concept and he'll be proud of his accomplishment.

0
0