mem68
mem68 asks:
Q:

What's the best way to help my son who's being bullied?  So far nothing has worked!

My son is small for his age and has been teased  just about anything and everything.
He went out for basketball this year w/ all the kids yelling "you can't make it etc"
BUT he went out any way.I'm finding out that it is th  bullies that have a problem-one is from a divorced family and doesn't see his mom. Another has been helt back 2 years and is very large for his class. I've had my son in counseling for 4 years to learn how to deal w/ bullies. Now he tells me

|

All types of kids are bullied. Bullying even affects those kids that are smart, funny, popular, and seem to have everything going for them. If your child is being bullied, it's important to build up their self esteem when they are away from school. Remind them not to let a bully make them feel like they are different in a bad way. They deserve respect, and nobody has the right to treat them badly. Encourage them to get involved in activities outside of school such as music, art, or intramural sports teams where they will be consistently and positively reinforcement.

Always encourage your son to talk to trusted adults around him about what he's going through. This could be a parent, aunt, uncle, or even school counselor. Explain to him that if he shoves his feelings deep down, much like a pressure cooker, they will eventually boil over and he's more likely to say or do something that will get him in trouble, not the bully.  It's easy for kids to get to "the breaking point" when they are bullied and that's when parents need to put the encouragement into overdrive.  Keep telling your son his positive qualities and encourage other adults and kids to do the same.  It's great that the school is getting involved.  They are responsible for the educational environment they are providing your son.

We encourage parents and especially kids/teens to call our 24/7 hotline to talk to someone if bullying is affecting their life. Bullying over a long period of time can cause damage to a youth's self-esteem that can be hard to reverse. Please feel free to call us at 1-800-448-3000 anytime.

1-800-448-3000

0
0

SamanthaDunham
SamanthaDun... writes:
Hi mildred, nice to meet you.<br />
It's got to be hard on your son to be bullied. Like you said, everyone has their breaking point. Did you already meet with the principal, teacher and counselor or is that yet to come? It almost sounds like the other parents need to be involved in this meeting. Are they at all being talked to about what they are putting your son through? &nbsp;From what you say here, it really sounds like the main problem is those other two boys. The school should contact their parents. Are they?<br />

0
0
Hi Mildred - This must be so heart breaking for you. &nbsp;It sounds like you're trying to do all the &quot;right&quot; things and your son is still being mistreated. &nbsp;I'm glad the school is getting involved and it sounds like they're taking it seriously. &nbsp;Your son is lucky to have you advocating for him and I guess the only advice I would give is that you keep everyone in that meeting until you're satisfied with the plan. &nbsp; And if the first plan doesn't work you have to keep having meetings and keeping the school engaged until you come up with a plan that makes your son at least safe, if not happy, at school.<br />
<br />
Also, education.com has these articles about bullying...maybe you'll find some useful information here: &nbsp;http://www.education.com/reference/topic/TeenYears_MiddleYears_Bullying/<br />
<br />
He's really lucky to have you helping him through this! &nbsp;Good luck to you both!<br />

0
0