Anonymous07
Anonymous07 asks:
Q:

My son is being bullying at lunch time every day. He doesn't want to tell anyone at school. What do I have to do?

|

Hearing that your son is being bullied at school must have been heartbreaking for you. It must be even more difficult to hear that your son has been keeping this inside and feeling afraid to tell anyone about it. Be sure to give your son lots of praise for telling you about it. I'm sure that wasn't easy for him to admit.

There are a few different possible ways to approach this situation. What type of bullying is your son experiencing? Is he being verbally or physically bullied? If he is being physically hurt I would suggest you, as the parent, talk to school administration immediately. If the bully is calling your son names or making fun of him, have your son try a few techniques such as making one comment back to the bully like "I know" or "no comment," or simply ignoring the bully. Is he forced to sit next to the bully at lunch because of a seating chart? Can he ask the teacher to sit at a different table? If your son is getting food taken away from him at lunch he needs to get a teacher or lunchroom monitor involved.

Your son has the right to eat lunch in a positive environment everyday. If he feels like he has tried to deal with the bully himself, and it isn't working, encourage him to talk to his teacher or school counselor about it. If he doesn't feel comfortable doing that, you should speak to his teacher about what's going on. You can even explain to them that he was scared to talk to someone about it and ask them if they could keep an eye out for bullying in the lunch room without making a big scene.

Bullying often takes a toll on a youth's self esteem. Take some time to talk to your son about his worth. Remind him that bullies are usually insecure and have to make other people feel bad to make themselves feel better. Tell him that by staying strong and remembering all the good things about himself, he is showing the bully that he isn't bothered by his words or actions. If the bully doesn't think he has any power over your son he is less likely to bully him.

1-800-448-3000

2
0

Hi, In addition to the great information and advice you received from Boys Town National Hotline (above)...

I also want to share with you some free resources on Education.com that could help you in your next steps to address this issue. Click the link below to Education.com's special edition on Bullying. It includes downloaded information you can share with the school, as well as tips and strategies for parents.

Good luck -- I hope you are successful in quickly ending the harm your son is experiencing.

0
0
bullying
bullying writes:
Go to the school as many times as you have to and get your son the help he needs.   No child or teen or anyone in school should have to put up with being bullied.  I have had to go to my childs school 3 times so far and now I am even looking into legal help so that my childs bullys can be stopped.

0
0
Momof2driverof100
Momof2drive... writes:
when my son was in middle school he was being bullied to for a little while until he told me. noone would do anything about it so I went up there every day for a month and ate lunch with him and dared the little thugs to say anything ugly to him. finally they stoped talking to him and I never had to say anything else to them again. my son has now been out of school for almost a year and is in collage doing good now with no lasting effects. and if the school will not let you eat with your child there is something wrong with that picture.

0
0