alkluetz
alkluetz asks:
Q:

My son is out of control! What should I do?

My 14 yr. old son stole my car this past Sunday and took it joy riding along with his 15 yr. old sister.  I discovered this the following day when I went to drive my car to the store and the shifter was broken on it.  I have now had to pay $750 worth of engine/transmission damage due to him not knowing how to drive a stick shift.  This is not the first time my son has been in trouble.  He's been caught stealing from a local theme park two years ago and more recently suspended from school for possession of stolen goods.  He has also been suspended for fighting in school.  What do I do with this kid?  Oh, and not to forget to mention, he has a 2 month old son he can't even take care of.  What am I going to do?  

|

It does sound like your son's behavior is very serious.  Since he has been in trouble with the law, does he work with a casemanager or probation officer?  There are different services that probation officers have access to that the general public doesn't, such as electronic monitoring, or tracking.  Is he in individual counseling  right now?  If not, you may want to look into that.  If you need a referral for a local counselor, we have a national database at our hotline.  Feel free to call us at 1-800-448-3000, 24/7 to access those referrals.  Also, have you worked with the school counselor to try to coordinate any services?  As I'm sure you know, it's important to use all the resources that are available to you.  

You may want to look into an alternative school in your city.  Usually alternative schools are designed for students whose behavior is severe enough that they are unable to attend regular school.  The staff is specifically trained in modifying and handling especially difficult teens.  Without knowing what you've already tried, these are just a few ideas that may help point you in the right direction.  Your son's school counselor should also have a list of local resources.  Again, feel free to call us if you need any further assistance.  

Take Care,
1-800-448-3000

0
0