Q:

Is there anything we can do to help our son cope with getting his hair and nails cut, to make it easier?

"My son is 5. He has great distress when he gets a haircut and will not let me cut his fingernails. He also has some issues with loud crowded environments. Everything else he is okay with. Is there anything we can do to cope with the HC and Nail cutting to make it easier? It is traumatic at the barber shop for everyone. I try to take him at the end of the day when there are less people. I have to wrap my arms and legs around him and it is a battle."

Asked by Tammi in commenting on the article, "Sensory Processing": http://www.education.com/magazine/column/entry/...
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Physical Health, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Speak to your pediatrician about his behavior.  She may recommend seeing a behaviorist or having a developmental evaluation. These are "must do" things for young and old children. Have dad (if available) sit him in his lap with one arm around his arms and one leg up over his.  It usually works for vaccines to reluctant receivers in our offices. prep him also with a plan of action, but not too soon and be clear. Don't make promises you don't keep.  Best wishes.

0
0

mayfieldga
mayfieldga , Teacher writes:
Is there perhaps some other emotional problem he is dealing with that when solved, hair and nails will become easier to deal with?  I am wondering if also the more aggression we are giving Male children by society outside the home may be setting up more defensiveness and stress in general.

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
Two great books that have suggestions for situations similar to what you are describing with your child are:
Sensational Kids by Lucy Jane Miller
The Out of Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz
Both can be purchased on line or may be in your local library.
You are very wise in wrapping your arms around your child as "deep pressure" has a calming affect.

0
0
Anonymous