confused and tired
confused and tired asks:
Q:

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Bipolar & Aspergers…where do I start?

I have a 16 year old son who has a list of issues ( ADHA, ODD, Bipolar,Night Terrors) the latest is Aspergers which I have thought for two years but could not find a doctor willing to test. Now that he has been diagnosed where do I go from here to find out what I should be doing for him?
In Topics: Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Now that you have a diagnosis please take copies of all documents to your son's school and ask for an official review by the Special Education team.  Your request needs to be in writing, keep a copy and don't forget to date any letters or forms.  You can even ask for this meeting during the summer.

The team will review records, perhaps ask for more school based evaluations, share information and then make recommendations.  There are many laws that are involved in the Special Education Process.  A user friendly "walk through" of the process can be found at the website I listed below. On this website is a formal response to frequent terms and then a parent section of "what you need to know."                

I always advise that anyone who attends a school meeting goes with a friend, spouse or parent advocate.  Sometimes it is difficult to remember all the side conversations that are not documented in writing. Also, this second person will be supportive for you.  Your son, also may wish to attend.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions from the professionals you will meet or to get back to us here at Education.com.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com
1
0

lkauffman writes:
Dear Confused and Tired,

It sounds like it has been a very long and difficult road for you. I would recommend that you work closely with the person or agency that diagnosed your son to understand him from a holistic point of view. What I mean by that is to develop an understanding of his functioning from all angles (social reasoning, academic and intellectual functioning, etc) in such a way that you "get" how he copes, what motivates him, what he is capable of. I personally believe that many educators and practitioners get caught up in the diagnoses and struggle to define and describe a child as a whole.

When you truly understand your son's functioning, you can develop (with the help of this school and practitioners who know your son) a comprehensive plan for him. A comprehensive plan would most likely include a consistent behavior plan for school and home (expectations, rewards, and yes, consequences) for his behavior. For instance, if he has a meltdown in the classroom, where can he go to cope and take care of himself (a quiet section of the classroom, a nurse's office, etc). Similarly, what about meltdowns at home? What typically triggers a meltdown?

In addition, you should continue to reach out to other parents and practitioners who can advise you on this journey. This site has a wealth of information and leads on authoritative non-profit organizations working to support parents with children who struggle with Asperger's:

http://www.education.com/topic/aspergers-syndrome/

Good luck and please keep us informed on your son's progress.

Counseling Psychologist

0
0
Francis
Francis writes:
Have you considered brain-body integration?  Google 'Brain Gym' or 'Bal-A-Vis-X.'  Both address issues of attention, hyper-activity, impulsivity, an over-whelmed sensory center.

0
0
jojo_782003
jojo_782003 writes:
Hi Confused and tired my son is 13 he has been diagnosed ADHD,ODD,Bipolar& Aspergers also it is a handfull of diagnoses I was wondering if you could tell me if your son has anger problems also? I am really having alot of problems trying to get help with my sons anger no one seems to want to help his doctor wants to play with his medication I have never been offered any counseling for him therapy or anything. i have had to recently pull him out of regular school where he was in special education classes and put him into home school because he was getting into to many fights and it is getting very difficult to home school because he needs alot of help and I would like for him to return to school next year I was just wondering if you had experienced any anger issues and if so how did you cope? Where did you get answers?

0
0
lallen7
lallen7 writes:
My son is 13.  He was diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, Bipolar and Aspergers as well.  I did not want to put him on medication etc.  however I just want to say that we broke down and put him on medicine.  AND WOW what a difference it made! He is happier.... we are able to communicate now.... he is doing so much better in school... he is in regular classes!  I know it is very hard for US as parents, but it is SO hard on them! I am just glad that we found the right medications, therapist, and psychiatrist.  My son is currently taking Adderall XR, Trileptal and Risperdal.  Seems like alot, but HE is happier and HE doesn't want to be off of his medication.  As a parent I made sure and researched all of the side effects.... and we haven't had any! To all of those that are struggling with this as we are... just have patience and try to always be calm.  It's the golden ticket! :)  Hugs to all of you!

0
0