Phloe
Phloe asks:
Q:

My son is diagnosed with Aspergers and we are moving to another state. What do I need to do to make sure the new school has all of his information?

My son has scored well above grade average nation-wide in his tests but has a major problem complying in doing his everyday school work and having behaviors that disrupt the classroom.  I need the new school to understand this so that his transaction can go a bit smoother, the move will disrupt his live as it is and I'm trying to smooth out some of the wrinkles.
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school, Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Dr.Susan

This is an important question and I'm glad you're asking it before you get there! Here are the steps to help you make sure your son's needs are met:

1. Collect all information, reports, report cards, and any other documentation you have that describes his disability, makes several copies of it and place it in chronological order.

2. As soon as you know what school you are moving to call and ask to speak to the school psychologist, guidance counselor or social worker--even if you don't know who his teacher will be yet.

3. Ask your child's teacher or anyone else (guidance, psychologist etc) that knows your child well if they would be willing to speak to the new school.

4. Set up a phone appointment to discuss your son. Write yourself notes before the appointment so you speak in an organized, clear way. During this appointment be VERY polite (not that you wouldn't be), and appreciate of the time they are giving you. Be extremely concrete and clear about his strengths and difficulties, using examples Offer to send them the packet of information you've copied. Also tell them that you'd like to set up a meeting with his new teacher at the beginning of the new school year.

5. Offer to have this person speak to your contact at your current school to learn more about your child.

6. At the beginning of the year, call the teacher, introduce yourself and set up a meeting with the teacher and the person you met on the phone. Go over the same information again. If necessary, set up a follow-up meeting a couple of weeks or month into the school year to 'check in' and see how things are going. Hopefully as smoothly as possible!

Dr. Susan Bartell
www.drsusanbartell.com
Twitter @drsusanbartell
NEW book! "The Top 50 Questions Kids Ask"

3
0
Anonymous