Anonymous
Q:

my son wants to drop out of high school

my son is almost 16 and really hates high school...its a fight every single day with my cell phone ringin at work b4 6am at work most mornings. i am so dreading this year he hates goin and his I.Q is off the charts..hes just so borded with the traditional setting..he hates being there so much,he acts out and gets in trouble just so he will get kicked out and does not have to go,.can any one give me some suggestions? we live in the Pacific area,and we really can not afford private school,and they have closed our alternative high school due 2 budget cuts...i dont know what if any help is out there...my husband is about to give up and let him drop out,but i say NO WAY!
In Topics: School and Academics, Motivation and achievement at school

|

Thank you for writing to JustAsk!

I am so sorry that your family has encountered a difficult crossroads. When a child is gifted it can be as challenging to find appropriate educational programs than when a child has serious delays.

I find that an outside resource is often the help a family may need. Such as a mentor who "gets" teenage boys that are bright.

In addition, many community colleges will accept high school students and help them complete academic HS requirements on their campus.  

Perhaps these links will help give you some resources to help you.

http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=538
http://giftedkids.about.com/od/giftedadolescents/Gifted_Teens.htm

Best wishes for a better school year!

1
0

LilDeadHead
LilDeadHead writes:
Your story sounds familiar. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but does your kid maybe go to westside high school? I have a friend that is saying he is gonna drop out on his birthday and I know how smart he is and what amazing things he could do! I say make him go! At most high schools kids can take AP or honors classes that will challenge him. MAKE HIM GO!

0
0
traci.simmons
traci.simmons writes:
Have you thought about letting him get his G.E.D. and start attending college? There has to be some kind of grants to help with the money for your son to attend. It's something to think about.

0
0
catstrax
catstrax writes:
I am facing the same problem in the middle of my son's 10th grade year. He wants to take his GED and go to college; however , the age requirement is 18 yrs old and 17 yrs with exception. I have been exploring the High School Proficiency Certificate in our state(CHSPE,California) where a student can be 16 years old to take it. This certificate is accepted at colleges. My son is bored and does not seem interested in the "high school" experience and has attended both a good public high school and a private school. You  might also consider independent study OR a homeschool charter program tailored to his interests. I feel its more important to meet the child where his learning is at and build upon what he wants to achieve versus continually battling the system which is often very broken and ineffective ESPECIALLY for a person who is not going to comply. The worst result can be further stress in the home which will deteriorate his relationship to the family. I encourage you to find a solution that you and he can agree  to so that he at least get his high school credentials. Maybe he would do well with an online homeschool program where he can learn at his own pace and interact with teachers. The ones I know of are Christian based but Im sure your state offers programs also. Good Luck and hang in there. !!

0
0