Anonymous
Q:

my son wants to drop out of high school

my son is almost 16 and really hates high school...its a fight every single day with my cell phone ringin at work b4 6am at work most mornings. i am so dreading this year he hates goin and his I.Q is off the charts..hes just so borded with the traditional setting..he hates being there so much,he acts out and gets in trouble just so he will get kicked out and does not have to go,.can any one give me some suggestions? we live in the Pacific area,and we really can not afford private school,and they have closed our alternative high school due 2 budget cuts...i dont know what if any help is out there...my husband is about to give up and let him drop out,but i say NO WAY!
In Topics: School and Academics, Motivation and achievement at school

|

Thank you for writing to JustAsk!

I am so sorry that your family has encountered a difficult crossroads. When a child is gifted it can be as challenging to find appropriate educational programs than when a child has serious delays.

I find that an outside resource is often the help a family may need. Such as a mentor who "gets" teenage boys that are bright.

In addition, many community colleges will accept high school students and help them complete academic HS requirements on their campus.  

Perhaps these links will help give you some resources to help you.

http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=538
http://giftedkids.about.com/od/giftedadolescents/Gifted_Teens.htm

Best wishes for a better school year!

1
0

LilDeadHead
LilDeadHead writes:
Your story sounds familiar. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but does your kid maybe go to westside high school? I have a friend that is saying he is gonna drop out on his birthday and I know how smart he is and what amazing things he could do! I say make him go! At most high schools kids can take AP or honors classes that will challenge him. MAKE HIM GO!

0
0
traci.simmons
traci.simmons writes:
Have you thought about letting him get his G.E.D. and start attending college? There has to be some kind of grants to help with the money for your son to attend. It's something to think about.

0
0