alexabro
alexabro asks:
Q:

Is my son dyslexic or does he have short attention span?

My son is 4 yrs old and is generally healthy. His motor skills seem to be developing just fine and he is also active. His memory when it comes to things that interest him is extremely good; to the extent that he knows names of all kinds of animals, dinosaurs, cars and countries. He is also a brilliant observer and recalls almost every incident. However, at school he is not able to catch up. Where most other kids his age in his school are on to their way to learning short words and spellings, he has still not memorized his alphabets. He doesn't stay focused in class and even at home every time we sit together to do his homework and recall what he did at school, he starts whining and saying he is sleepy or tired. We have tried different time schedules but it doesn't seem to work. He also gets proper sleep, a proper diet and sufficient amount of activity to stay active and healthy.

What can it be? Should I be concerned? More importantly, what can I do to help him?
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Learning styles and differences, My child's growth and development

|

Sounds like your son is a brilliant boy!  Have you talked with the teacher to get her/his insight on what might be the reason for your son's academic delay? If they suspect dyslexia or other learning disability, the school should provide your son with appropriate testing.  If you see inattention at home, talking with your son's regular health care provider might be helpful.

1
0

LILDGK
LILDGK writes:
Maybe you should take to get a check up to really find out.

2
0
Anonymous