motheroffour
motheroffour asks:
Q:

My son is eleven years old, is too late to find out if he has autism. does some of these behaviors mimic autism?

For years we have had to battle with my son being overly emotional. There are certain textures that he does not like. he is sensitive to certain sounds he cannot stand gum chewing or the smell. we have to explain social concepts to him. he likes to have small objects in his hand tossing them around. he cannot hold eye contact.it takes hours to calm him down.he does well academically . he have some social problems and argumentative with adults.I have worked with children with autism before some of his behaviors have always given me a concern.
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

A similar question was posed and answered a few months ago.  Here is the link: http://www.education.com/question/tell-child-autism/

Know that any child in the public school system can be reviewed for possible evaluations if the parents express written and dated consent.  Please feel free to talk to your school counselor about this process.

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0

hlevitan
hlevitan , Teacher writes:
Mother of Four,

It definitely is not too late to find out if he has a condition on the Autism Spectrum.  Many people are undiagnosed with Aspergers, which is on the Autism spectrum.  It is great that you are noticing these signs, and you want to help him.  It is never too late to request an evaluation by a school psychologist.  You can get a private evaluation by a school psychologist, or the school psychologist at your local school can also arrange testing.  There will likely be a meeting with you, the school psychologist, a classroom teacher, and other educational professionals you wish to include in the Individualized Education Planning (IEP) team.  

Here is the section on the Education.com website concerning Autism Spectrum Disorder.  You can find more information about testing and diagnosis, behaviors to look for, and more:
http://www.education.com/topic/autism-spectrum-disorders/

I wish the best to you and your son.  It is great that you are actively seeking help to effectively help him.

Best Wishes,

Hayley

3
0
angelbaby1214
angelbaby1214 writes:
You can also talk to your child's doctor about it at his next appointment, or make a special appointment to talk about it. My nephew is autistic, and some of your son's behaviors mimic autism, such as the no eye contact and taking a long time to calm down. my father-in-law even saw some of the behaviors in my 2 year old, and i didn't see them, but she's more apt to be with me more than other adults. your doctor can tell you if he's concerned, and then can tell you where to take him to get him tested. good luck

3
0
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
Everyone that has answered has some great suggestions.  I would also recommend talking to the child's teacher about behavior that is being seen in the classroom.  Sometimes the teacher can get the ball rolling by talking with the counselor and the diagnostician on campus. It would also be helpful to talk with your child's doctor about it also.  Keep being an advocate!

1
0