Anonymous
Q:

My son feel victimised

My son has been bullied for years - ever since primary and it has continued into secondary school.  Although the school does respond, he has lost faith in them as they have not kept the details confidential.   He now feels victimized and his attitude is very bad in school and he can be quite rude to teachers , as he is venting his frustration.  What can I do to help. His grades are suffering and his whole demeanour is depressed and no matter how many times I tell him to change his body language and act happy, it falls on deaf ears.  He has  very few friends and is not involved in any sports.  He has a variable IQ profile and finds it hard to express himself sometimes, although he is at his most fluent when he is arguing!!  I am afraid that he is seeing himself as a victim now.  Is there a book or a course that you can recommend?  He is 15 in March 2012
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Self esteem and identity, Bullying and teasing

|

Thanks for taking the time to reach out. It sounds like your son has been experiencing bullying for quite some time and is now starting to feel really down on himself and distrusting of others as a result. We can only imagine how rough this has been on your son, so it is really encouraging to see that he has such a strong, caring parent in his life.

It sounds like your son has been subjected to some really persistent bullying for quite some time, its probably really difficult for him to change his body language and act happy if he is feeling very down on the inside. It sounds like he is struggling to cope with his feelings, which is a big sign that the use of a counselor would be helpful. Giving your son the opportunity to work with a counselor would provide him with the chance to learn coping skills and healthier ways to thinking.

Also, here is a link about bullying that could help: http://www.yourlifeyourvoice.org/DiscoverIt/Articles/Pages/Bullying.aspx

1-800-448-3000
0
0
Anonymous