lenny
lenny asks:
Q:

My son fell through the cracks.  He's 17 and can't read.

my son is a junior in high school and cannot read. I went to his school so many times to get him tested but the school he goes to the teacher just says i know he fell through the cracks.  They told me he probably need to go to a job core program, I told them no he will stay here in school. I thought every child has a rght to get a education.  
In Topics: Working with school administrators

|
netty
netty writes:
Hi Lenny.....I call Bull on the school system.  They know they have failed and do not want to be responsible.  You need to have your son tested for dyslexia.  I have two sons who could not read and I insisted they be tested.  I knew this is what they had but no one knew what it was.  It is hereditary and usually runs in the male.  If you research this you will more then likely find this is what he has.  There is a lot of help out there.  If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.  Don't let the school system buffalo you..He deserves a education just like any other child......

0
0
Lynnette1
Lynnette1 writes:
Hi Lenny,
You may be running into a money problem. You can have your child tested. If you specifically ask for information the school should provide you with information on the resources that are available to you, however, the funds for paying for the testing are just not there. You will need to pay for it yourself. And the school will not recommend testing because then they will have to pay for it. Good luck to you

0
0
BMelton , Teacher writes:
Your son has a right to a free and appropriate education. Since you have requested testing, the school system is obligated to do so. Ask for a copy of rights for special education and call the state office to appeal this case. You do not need to spend any money to test your child or to get legal assistance.

0
0