SarieLous
SarieLous asks:
Q:

My son isn't finishing his classroom work - how can I help?

My son is in kindergarten and he is our first so we're still new to the 'school scene.'  At the beginning of the year, he was doing most of all that was asked in the classroom and doing his homework well.  Now we are a little over half way through the school year and he is coming home with little to no work done in the classroom each day.  It has been a progression of doing less and less over the course of the school year.  But, when we sit down to finish at home, he knows all what to do, and does it correctly and timely.  He is above grade level according to his report card and the only mark not satisfactory was his time management in class.  We've tried rewarding him when his work is completed in class, punishing when it's incomplete, using a timer at home to help him finish homework timely.  Sometimes my husband or I will go to the school early and sit with him and help keep him on task, but we can't go to school every day! How do I help him do his work in the classroom?
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|
rachelle101
rachelle101 , Student writes:
Well, I think you should get the teacher's number and call at your lunch break or when you you have lunch and ask him/her to tell you how your son is doing. Then if your son is bad put him on the phone and talk to him.

0
0
liebeanns
liebeanns writes:
There must be a reason to why he is not completing his work. As a mother of two, i have volunteered to help out in the class. This way, it helps me keep tract of what maybe going on. i can understand you may not have such time, so I suggest to talk to some of the room moms who are helping out. They should have a good insight. In our home, we have made it clear to our children, that school is there responsibility, and they are to respect their teachers, and follow the rules. if there are any problems they should discuss with us (parents). Being a parent is never easy, I wish you the best of luck, and hope this may help.

2
0
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
sometimes boys just find the structure and routine a bit much. however, i use a kitchen timer for 3 of my learners in my class so that they have an idea of how much time they have to complete the tasks.  this they find helpful as they want to finish the tasks before it rings.  i also verbally remind them that they have 30 minutes to do the task, and nearing the end, i remind them that there are 5 minutes left etc.  i had to teach basic time keeping as these little ones have no concept of time.  i do allow 10 minutes extra time for those who find the tasks challenging.  hope this helps.

0
0