Smexotap
Smexotap asks:
Q:

My son took the Gifted and Talented test and did not pass but his Pre-K teacher thinks there is problem w/ the score. What should I do?

My son took the G&T test, he got 50% on the LOSAT and 97% on the BSAR his Pre-K teacher thinks that it's too big of a difference in scors that there must be a mistake because he was doing the LOSAT part better then the other kids in his class. I contacted the board of edu. They said they'll set up a time for me to view the test but there won't be an explanation of what went wrong w/ the test taker. So I'm not sure what to do.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, My gifted child

|
bob , Parent writes:
I think you mean the OLSAT test, right?  First, follow-up on the appointment to see if there are any obvious problems with the test scoring.  If not, try to gain some insights as to where your son fell short.  It could be that he just has trouble with tests or didn't understand the methodology of the OLSAT test.

To follow up on the teacher's opinion, try to get some stats from the district on the spread of scores on the two tests.  Does the gap in your son's score really indicate a scoring problem?

In my school district, the GATE tests can be taken every two years.  That's probably not a satisfying answer, but there are books and websites that will prepare your son for GATE tests - just do a web search on "GATE tests" and you'll see what I mean.

2
0
It may be his age. I know some schools wait until 2nd - 4th grade to test for giftedness. However, you can still work with him at home on subjects he is interested in. Find out his interests and get some materials to supplement at home. Good Luck :)

1
0