mdldsd
mdldsd asks:
Q:

My son is in first grade and to me it seems he has an incredible amount of homework.  Is this normal?

My son gets at least 3-4 pages of math problems and english, then has to read at least 20 minutes, then has to study spelling words.  (He has 12 words a week)  He cries every night and wants me to "help" him.  On top of it I have a 5 yr. old wanting to interject her two cents.  It's misery!  It takes almost two hours to complete.  This can't be healthy or good for anybody...
In Topics: School and Academics, Private School

|

Hi mdldsd,
I know it seems like a lot for a 1st grader, but that sounds about normal.  We received the homework folder on Monday and it was due on Friday, giving us the week to complete.  We had 20 words a week with an activity each night-alphabetize the list, write a sentence with each word, write a short story using as many words as you can, or just writing a word list.  Math pages usually only consisted of 3 to 4 problems that took about 5 minutes each, worksheets were usually still only a few problems, reading a minimum of 20 minutes and writing in a journal.  Roughly took about 1 hour a night, if it is taking longer than an hour to complete, you may want to talk to your teacher.

The two links provided discuss the homework issue, one tells you ways to help your child and the other reinforces your idea that it's too much work.  You may enjoy them and they may help you to find ways to talk about this with the teacher.  Best wishes!

0
0