Amoran
Amoran asks:
Q:

my son is behind grade level

My son has ADD. He has problems getting up to grade level in math and reading. I have tried medication, Herbal remedies nothing works. I need to find a way of getting him to want to do his work at home and in the classroom. His writing is behind too. you can not read anything he writes any ideas of getting him interested would help a lot.
In Topics: School and Academics, Motivation and achievement at school

|
salfam
salfam writes:
How old is your son and have you tried modifying his diet?

My favorite way to teach is incorporate fun: bounce a ball while reciting math facts, make a art project of a habitat collage, cooking, educational games for example.

1
0
MiaRia
MiaRia writes:
I have the same issues with my son.  We got him a tutor 2 days a week along with a 504 plan @ school.   he could also get intervention at school I believe although we had not yet had to do that.  The at home tutor is great! he gets to work at home and learn at home skills for study...medication is a long road to find the right one...Good Luck!

1
0
amal7072
amal7072 writes:
I had the same situation with my son.  He has ADHD and has been on medications since Kindergarden.  I hated the idea of medicating him, but it helped...some what.  I felt as if he should have been left back in 1st grade,but all of his teachers told us "not to worry",that he will "get it", so we drudged along.  Second grade revealed even more of a divide in his learning, so one our own, we had him tested.  Finally, a learning disability was found and we could get him the help he needed.  We did an Individual Eduation Plan (IEP).  Unfortunately, that didn't fair as well as we had hoped. The resources in the ESE program, for students like him, we simply not there!  His father and I were doing most of the "extras" on our own.  He was memorizing facts and not learning them. Our state has a required standardized test to be promoted to the next grade and that is what was being "taught" in school. We needed help, and we simply were not receiving it in our situation.  He did tutoring,outside of school, for almost 2 years in Math, where his disablilty mainly was focused.  However, focusing so much on his weakness, allow us to not focus on the other important aspect of school,which was language arts (reading comprehension, writing, etc).  Although it was one of the hardest decisions we had to make, we retained him in the 3rd grade.  He could have gone to 4th grade, but he would have struggled and then done just enough to skirt by, as in previous years.  We even switched schools, as well.  Long story, huh??Our difficult decision has been nothing but a blessing, as this year has been nothing but wonderful grades, learning, and most of all, a self esteem boost for a young man who was starting to doubt himself as a student.
I share this with you to let you know that there is a silver lining in all of this! Have the teachers given you any extra work, or ideas that can help you help him? When my son didn't want to read, I took him to the library or bookstore and let him pick!  Kids will love to read and write if you let them pick the topic.  With math, make it tangible...things that he can touch and see, help him understand the concept ALOT more than just seeing it on a piece of paper. Websites, like these, help beacuse you can get the extra work yourself and find something that will work for your situation. You may want to consider having him tested...it will not only find a learning issue but can also find if he's not being challenged enough!  It doesn't always have a negative outcome :-)
I am not an educator, just a mom that did alot of work on her own to help her child succeed in school. Hope my story helps.....

0
0