MELBA
MELBA asks:
Q:

My son is in first grade and his teacher nominated him to the gifted child program in his school, which I think is great because my son is real smart

In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|

KidAngel

I think its great too! Just pay attention and see when they move him into some 2nd grade classes that he is adjusting socially as well. Often times when I child is moved into "gifted" programs there are social issues if he has made good friends in his primary grade. It all depends on the child and his emotional ability to adjust to change.
Congratulations!
Best to you and your son.
Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.comTeam

0
0

jjteach
jjteach writes:
It's great if you have a "smart child".  We all want our children to do well in school.  However, first grade is rather early to place a child in a "gifted" class.  Children at this young age, need to be in the regular classroom and enjoy the experiences of school and learn the skills necessary.  Many times, children who seem very gifted at an early age are from an environment where he/she gets to have many experiences, has parents who have an interest in reading, etc.  

I say, build on your child's strengths.  Continue to do what you do at home and let him have another couple of years of life (and school) in the most normal way possible.

1
0
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
That is great! At our school gt is interegrated with the regular education class until 3rd grade.  So, the 1st-2nd grade teachers differentiate their instruction to meet the needs of all students.  This also gives the child a chance to have better social skills.

0
0
catgirl
catgirl writes:
That is good that he is smart.  But is he gifted?  I have a sister that has ADHD.

0
2
jennifernp
jennifernp writes:
Being a teacher of grade 1, G&T, I totally agree with the nomination and placement in a gifted or accelerated program. I simply could NOT imagine some of my high level thinkers being placed in the same group of 26 or so children where intense remediation is needed. I think that until you have worked in or close to a title one group of students along with having been exposed to a G&T group, you really have no real true read on this issue. Also so much emphasis is placed on how to remediate and on fundamental reading and math programs, but there are very few enrichment programs being conducted....equity is sorely needed

0
0