kellietexas
kellietexas asks:
Q:

My son is in the first grade for the second time, I want to know why he will not read to his father and I or write sentences that we can read.

In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Cognitive development, Learning issues and special needs

|
LynnKudlacz
LynnKudlacz , Teacher, Student, Parent writes:
Is he wanting to draw at all? Or will him be willing to chime in with any of the words?
I would start with baby steps to figure out why he is not working with you guys. Have you brought this to the attention of the pediatrician or an eye doctor? Those may be great places to start to see if there are any issues.

2
0
NannaHelen
NannaHelen writes:
I am an australian so unfamiliar with your education system but i would guess your child would be around 7 or 8 years old.

Firstly, you need to talk to his teacher about your concerns. The school must have talked to you when it was decided that he repeat first grade. The teacher should have some idea what is causing his problems. Has he had a sight test and a hearing test? A developmental pediatrician should check him out in case he needs specialist help in order to advance. Early intervention is important.

Next, are the books at the right level for him? He will learn faster reading  books that he can manage rather than books that are too hard and that make him feel he is failing. Failure will lead to poor self esteem and a great unwillingness to even try!

Lastly, is he too tired? Children who struggle at school are exhausted by the time they get home. Having to struggle yet again once home may be too much for him. It is better for him to have time to play and enjoy family life. You should try to get him to read and do his homework in the morning and at week ends instead. Good luck.

4
0
Anonymous