Q:

Will my son grow out of being a sensitive child?

"My son is 7yrs old. He has been a highly sensitive child (HSC) since birth. He had medical issues every year til 5yrs of age, now we are dealing with allergies and asthma. Does this contribute to being HSC? He also helps kids that may cry, feeling empathy for them..he can cry at the drop of a hat. I always thought he must be a mama boy and tried to toughen him up so to speak. And not in a mean manner. I tried to praise his accomplishments..He has had so many major life anxieties through family events happening over the years. Does this also contribute to HSC? I try to encourage him, by playing games  to build self-confidence. I congratulate him in progress he makes and tell him I am happy for him and all he does. He is smart.Very artistic,very polite, loves to laugh and have fun. I want him to try baseball this summer since last summer he nearly cried every game or practice. I just want him to have fun and be with other kids...he has come along way in the past 2 years,but being he is going into 2nd grade I don't want this to hinder him in anyway.Will they get past this?"

Asked by Elisa in commenting on the article, "Raising a Sensitive Child": http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Raisi...
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Physical Health, Parenting / Our Family

|

this is a good question and difficult to answer without knowing him.  Most sensitive boys remain so. They develop mechanisms to find similar friends--boys or girls--and avoid being in groups where they will be in danger of retribution.  Continue to encourage him, work with his teachers, and provide outside activity such as music where he can develop skill. Try a camp or rec program for the summer in an activity he may like.  the cure for this is self esteem.  Best wishes.

1
0

Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
Emotions shape your child’s interactions with others and affect his or her behaviors resulting from those interactions.

Emotional resilience is the ability to cope with stressful life experiences, disappointments, and challenges in an effective and meaningful way that helps to preserve self-esteem, build social aptitude, and prevent frustration, anger, and even depression. Emotional resilience learned early in life assists in recovering from misfortunes and disappointments, thus fostering emotional health.

Teaching your child to be emotionally resilient will help him/her be in control and build confidence to work through challenging situations effectively.

Suggested reading:

Your child's emotional resilience

http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=512&Itemid=0

1
0
Anonymous