Q:

How can I help my son get into the habit of writing?

"My son is not in the habit of writing. In school he does not write from the board. This is causing problems. When we ask him as to why he is not writing, he his saying that he does not like to write. This situation in school is alarming as I am transferred to a new location & hence a new school. Assuming that I get minimal support there and he being isolated there, kindly advise as to what shall we do. We are very concerned at this stage. My son is in the 1st standard now. I am located at Gandhidham - Gujarat. Writing this to you as I see no light anywhere. Kindly advise & help."

Asked via email by "HBK".
In Topics: Helping my child with writing, Motivation and achievement at school

|
Hi, Perhaps adding some fun to the writing practice would help.

Here are some writing activities for kindergarteners and first graders in the U.S. education system (which your child may also enjoy):
http://www.education.com/activity/kindergarten/writing/
http://www.education.com/activity/first-grade/writing/

Here is Education.com's extensive information center on writing -- with a wide variety of articles covering how children learn to write and how to nurture a love of writing:
http://www.education.com/topic/academic-subject-writing/

In the U.S. school system, there are also resources for having children screened for learning disabilities, and to get specialized attention for particular learning challenges. You might explore if similar programs are available for children in India as well, by discussing the matter with the school leader or board of education in your area.

I hope this is helpful to you.

1
0
Hello.  My second grade son isn't a huge fan of writing either.  This year his teacher has a requirement that he writes for 20 minutes a week in a journal with me and his dad.  It's been really fun and now he actually looks forward to doing it.  

Sometimes we just write each other in question & answer style (He'll ask me things like:  "Hey mom, did you have a pet when you were a kid?", "What's for dinner tonight", or "Did you like your second grade teacher?".  I'll answer him and then ask questions like "What did you play at recess today?"  "What's the best thing that happened at school today?" etc).

Other times we write a story together.  I'll write a few sentences ("Once upon a time there were two brothers who lived together in a castle in an icy land.  One day....") and then he'll fill in the next few sentences ("...the brothers were walking across a snowy field when they saw an enormous polar bear walking toward them.  They were so scared!  They ran away and then...")

It's a great way for him to practice writing in short snippits while also sharing some of his thoughts and feelings in writing - a great skill to learn, especially for boys.

1
0
Jackolynn
Jackolynn writes:
I would try having him write you some short stories on subjects he likes. Writing has to be made fun for a kid to do it.

0
0