kwfost
kwfost asks:
Q:

My son has a really hard time focusing in class and I am really worried about him starting 4th grade.He may have ADD, any diet recommendations?

In Topics: Back to school, ADHD & attention issues, Nutrition

|

None. diet will not solve ADD and it has been proven.  However, breakfast, a good daily routine, and avoiding"empty calories" e.g. sugared cereals etc.. will help with concentration.

0
0

Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
Although ADHD cannot be cured with diet, some children with hyperactive behaviors may benefit from certain dietary interventions.  Research shows that bad diet may contribute to bad behaviors.  Also, there is some evidence that children with hyperactive behaviors may lack omega-3-fatty acids in their diets.  In addition, recent research findings suggest that exposure to pesticides may play a role in ADHD.  

Implementing the following dietary changes, may help your child with hyperactivity; however, talk to your child's health care provider about how to help your child with focusing at school.

1. Reduce sugar in your child's diet
2. Eliminate dyes, especially Red 40
3. Increase intake of fruits and vegetables (buy organic, pesticide-free)
4. Increase intake of omega-3- fatty acids found in tuna, salmon, and flax seeds

Suggested readings:

Bad food = Bad behavior

http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=426&Itemid=0

1
0
Katama
Katama writes:
Hi kwfost,
I really like your question, I have posted a similar one. I have to say that I am a bit taken a back by the response of this so called expert Wayne, I don't know what his qualifications are as a nutritionist, but I have read in many books and postings that a clean diet can be helpful and at a bare minimum overall healthy. I have a 9 year old son with ADD or that's what they tell me. I've read a few times that it is very difficult to even diagnose. But non the less I have decided to go healthy. We take omega 3 and DHL fish oils, we take vitamin B and trace minerals like zinc and magnesium every morning at breakfast, which is key! A good breakfast with protein.  We never eat out! We only eat a diet rich in protein, fruits washed from peptides with vinegar and water with baking soda whenever organic is too pricey. No processed foods of any kind. No synthetic dyes! You must read your labels. It's a lot of work but I believe it's worth it. My husband and I combined  have lost a total of 60 pounds.  And my son seems to be more attentive in school. He does have his moments still but good exercise and plenty of fresh air before homework is key, for anyone.
Also, you should get your child tested for whatever it's worth because the school will set him up with an IEP plan.
Good luck
Katama

1
0
Anonymous