mohib
mohib asks:
Q:

how to make my son do his homework?

hi! my son is 5 years old and is in kindergarten level 2. he is all fine but the problem starts when i have to make him do his homework. he likes to skip it. when i say him to do it nicely but he doesnt care. he doesnt like to finish his work. he can make good sketches but when its his homework, he will make is dirty. what is the reason for this behavior? can any one help?
In Topics: Back to school

|
mouseketeer13
mouseketeer13 writes:
Give him something to work for such as a sweet, a toy, etc. Tell him if he does his homework nicely he can have a lolly. Stay with him the first few times and have the sweet in your hand, pocket, or in a jar somewhere visible. Once he understands the method, you can keep the sweets in the pantry and leave him to his homework. Good luck!

0
0
TuyetVan
TuyetVan writes:
I think you need to spring him to a place have some children. In this place, other children will do tasks of them. When your son in this enviroment, i think he will become more responsible!

0
0
kllaramie
kllaramie , Teacher writes:

Motivating kids to get their work done can be difficult.  I have a M.S. in ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis & Autism) and have worked in the special education field for six years, and I still struggle with this on a daily basis.  It's hard to say what the specific reason(s) for your son's work avoidance could be.  It could be as simple as the fact that he'd rather be doing something else (playing!).  It doesn't sound like the work is too difficult or that he is having trouble grasping the concepts, because as you said he is able to display adequate work at other times.  

For me, I'm always trying to find different ways of motivating the students I work with.  This changes constantly, from tangible items and edibles to specific free time activities and other privileges.   It may also be worth while to explore a reinforcement schedule; I have found that some children I have worked with with autism need some form of reinforcement more often than other children with emotional disturbance who can tolerate more delayed reinforcers.  I realize that your child is probably typically-developing, but using a reinforcement schedule can be helpful for many children both with and without special needs.

I'm hoping that some of these resources can be helpful for you, and wish you the best of luck with your son!

0
0
christionna
christionna writes:
you could give him his favorate  food/treat.

0
0
ms.maiya
ms.maiya writes:
Maybe he isnt doing his homework because he finds it to be boring. Make it fun, sit down and do it with him and instead of making it seem so serious (you have to do this or else) turn it into a game. Im not too keen on giving kids candy/treats to get them to do something thats already expected of them because then in his mind hes looking at it like "if i do this, ill get a reward" You can however, give him something to look forward to. Say "if you finish all your homework this week, ill take you to chuck e cheese" or something like that and even then, dont do it all the time because he'll be expecting it all the time. I use to work at an afterschool program for 2yrs, with the k-1 group and i would randomly give out "Star rewards" they were little reward cards they can collect and save to turn in for a certain prizes, so its like they worked for it to get something in return. It also teaches them that they have to work hard for want they want. Hope this helps.

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Homework is usually not a fun task for children and sometimes teachers give too much of it. It's not unusual for a child to want to rush through homework or avoid it altogether.
Think of a household task that you dislike - I dislike doing dishes and I try to rush through that task and sometimes input it off to the next day or let dishes pile up in the sink. Children can be that way about homework. It can help if you sit down with them and keep them company while they work.

0
0
iteachfromheart
iteachfromh... writes:
I just keep my son's work in his cycle basket and ask him to complete it during ridding and playing any game so it almost complete it his work free rather by asking him many times to complete your homework.
Then some times,  tell him stories and ask him ok i'll tell you story you will complete your work.
sometimes, ask him if you will complete your work so i'll give you a present.

0
0