LUWANDA
LUWANDA asks:
Q:

I NEED HELP GETTING MY SON AN IEP

MY SON SCHOOL WONT DO AN IEP BECAUSE THEY SAY IT WONT COME OUT ACCURATE BECAUSE OF HIS EMOTIONAL STATE THEY WANNA HOLD HIM BACK BECAUSE HE STRUGGLING IN SCHOOL.MY SON HAS SLEEPING PROBLEMS AN MISSES LOTTA SCHOOL BECAUSE OF IT MY DOCTOR SAID HE NEEDS AN IEP. HOW DO I GET HELP
In Topics: Learning disabilities

|

Dear Luwanda,

This sounds like a very difficult situation. I am glad to hear that you have been visiting your son's doctor to better understand and manage his sleeping issues. Once he is physically healthy, it will be so much easier for him to get the most that he can out of the curriculum.

First, I think it is important that you arm yourself with information about grade retention. The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) has published a position statement (which means that prominent members of the NASP got together, reviewed the evidence, and determined their official "position" on the issue) on grade retention. Overall, the research indicates that students who are held back/retained have worse outcomes academically and emotionally than their peers who were also candidates for retention, but who were promoted. It sounds like you have already decided that you would like your son to be promoted, so you can use the NASP position statement as evidence with your school.

Now, to secure a special education evaluation, you should submit a written request directly to the special education coordinator or principal at your son's school. Here is a sample letter: http://www.ncld.org/content/view/933/456107/. The school must respond with a plan for evaluation or an explanation for why they are choosing not to test. It is in times like this, that you will need to continue to educate yourself on your rights as a parent and dedicate yourself to assuring that school personnel follow through on their responsibilities. You can contact your local Parent Training and Information Center (PTI) to get additional information on the special education process. I have included a link to the National Center for Learning Disabilities website. They have links to PTIs in your state. I have also include links to other special education resources below.

Finally, if your son's school denies your request for an evaluation, you may consider getting a private evaluation. Many organizations that conduct evaluations have scholarships and sliding scale fees.

Counseling Psychologist
0
0

MrsReading
MrsReading , Child Professional, Teacher, Parent writes:
A parent may request testing. Contact the school's guidance counselor or principal and ask them how to proceed.

0
0