timatt
timatt asks:
Q:

How can I help my son improve his relationships with his peers?

I have a child in third grade.  He told that his friends always call him wierd and nobody wants to play with him.  So I asked him what did he do?   He told me he just walked and looked around.   What should I do?   Many times I notice that my son acts like younger child, not in his age which is 9.  How can I change or improve his behavtor?
In Topics: Friendships and peer relationships

|

Is your son involved in any activities, like sports, church, school groups?  Sometimes these activities help kids socialize in settings other than school where they are more relaxed.  You might also want to talk to his teacher, a school counselor or the principal to see if they have any suggestions for activities that he can take part in.  They may have some observations of your son€™s interactions with others and give you some insight on how he socializes with peers.  

Do you know any of parents of other kids at his school?  If you are involved in or attend some of the activities with him, you will get a better sense of how he interacts and what kids might be a good fit as friends.  Then it you could encourage him to invite 1 or 2 of those kids to your house, or take them on an outing.  

One thing that can help kids break the ice with other kids is to compliment them.  You could help him come up with someone and something to compliment.  Also, see if he thinks there are other kids with the same interests as him.  That is another opening that he can use to strike up a conversation with someone.  

Make sure that you are supportive with him at home.  Try to focus him on his strengths, praise him and his accomplishments.  This will not only build your relationship with him, but you can also help him to feel better about himself.  

Boys Town National Hotline an Education.com partner
€“ 1-800-448-3000 / www.boystown.org

0
0

JSorrentino
JSorrentino writes:
Sorry to hear your son is having a tough time making friends. Our resident child psychologist, Dr. Medoff, answered a very similar question from a parent last week about how to foster social skills in a third grader. The link is below, you may find the tips and advice she offers here to be helpful. Best of luck to you and your son,
Johanna

http://www.education.com/magazine/column/entry/11986/

0
0