chanika101
chanika101 asks:
Q:

How can I help my son be more interested in learning? He is in kindergarten. When he's at home and I help him he knows all the answers, but at school he doesn't.

How can I help my son be more interested in learning? He is in kindergarten. When he's at home and I help him he knows all the answers, but he goes to school and acts like he knows nothing. I had a meeting with his teacher. She says he's a dawdler. She knows he knows the work, he just doesn't want to do it. He says he doesn't want to learn. I need help. I'm frustrated and I don't know what else to do. His teacher acts like she's lost. This is her first year teaching kindergarten. I need help.
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work, Parenting / Our Family, Discipline and behavior challenges

|
shay4
shay4 writes:
By playing fun games with him that are educational.

0
1
Safioleas
Safioleas writes:
If your child has suddenly decided that he doesn't enjoy learning, when he has shown acumen toward learning at home, the fault is not with him but rather with the teacher.  Children do not have on and off switches when it comes to education and learning.  This is why we have degreed and certified teachers (hopefully) attending to the task of inspiring and encouraging our children toward satisfaction in learning.  As a parent, we are to confer with the teacher and come up with a game plan toward this end.  Stating that your son is a 'dawdler' and that he 'doesn't want to learn' is neither a valid response to your son's needs, nor is it any assistance whatsoever.  If it is her first year teaching, request a conference with her AND the principal.  This way a more senior teacher is with you to help you AND the teacher in figuring out the right tactic for his benefit.

Keep in mind that he is still little and the adjustment into school takes awhile.  If he has a bad teacher out of the starting gate, you may have to do some damage control at home.  Discuss the situation with him.  Let him know that learning is fun even if he doesn't necessarily enjoy every assignment given to him at school.  I agree with the other comment regarding playing loads of educational games at home!  And try making special appearances at school, volunteering when you can, so he can see your excitement during the assignments and possibly take your lead.

But I'd watch the teacher.  And I'd let her know that you are watching her.  Things may be difficult for her this year as it is her first year out on her own, but this is not your son's fault nor is it something he should have to suffer for.

3
0
carperflorence
carperflore... writes:
For the interest in learning there must be something which can give interest to the student. By creating the graphs, fl;ow charts etc. for the hard topics the learning can make easy. You can help to create the easy study methods such as notes etc. by placing important things to study in the room the learning can make easy.

0
0
Anonymous