momjenn
momjenn asks:
Q:

My son is in K-he gets frustrated w/writing then thinks he is "a dork" & the worst writer & shuts down.  how can we help him write sentences better?

In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Helping my child with writing

|

Your son sounds like he needs some assurance that at his age we don't expect full sentence writing or just the very beginning stages. Mistakes are often made, even by the best of students!

To help him enjoy writing consider having him keep a journal so he can see the progression of his learning and skill attainment. Even an online journal can be fun!

Then years down the road he can see how much he did really know as a young kindergartner!

Good luck to all.

0
0

leeple
leeple writes:
I believe it all depends on mindset. If he thinks he's bad at writing, he won't write better. I'm not sure whether talking to him would help, but you can always try. But, in my opinion the best way to improve writing is to read more. Also, you can try doing some writing exercises with him. And to prove that he is improving, for example you can run it through editing software or grade his paper (if interested, check out essay grading at http://essay-grader.com). Seeing that you are actually improving is a good way to change his mind set and show that he is a good writer, and the only thing he needs to do is just to push himself just a little bit more.

0
0
Andnoanswers
Andnoanswers writes:
The smartest apples are the ones you don't leave last to eat. A smart person understands writing is important. Follow your writing let it be who you write as. As a good writer you must understand that you need to explain your writing to make sense. Making sense is being happy with the explanation and evaluation of your writing good or graded unfair. If writing sentences is about articulating words, then write the words that are least interesting to the writer and more interesting to the writer for best results.

0
0