Anonymous
Q:

My son in lower KG is asked to repeat 1yr

my son born 11nov2006, is completing lower KG, but teacher feels he is youngest in class, and can write uptil 10 ony with help (other kids easily write yill 50 on their own), and is easily distracted. Upper KG will be very demanding because of too. much of writing work. My son still does not write patterns. Son was born 25 days before due, is still underweight only 12 kg, and had all his milestones slightly later. Spoke at 3yrs for example. should we go ahead with UKG and wait to see if he might cope up or should we blindly retain him one more yr, or change the school to lighter syllabus.
In Topics: Preschool

|

childpsychmom

While you and your child's teacher are the best judge of whether you should retain your son or not, I would suggest having him evaluated by a child psychologist and a speech pathologist to determine the exact nature of his difficulties.  The results from these evaluations can assist you in figuring out if his problems are a result of being younger than his classmates or are a function of a specific delay or disorder.  The child psychologist and speech pathologist can help you make a decision that takes into account all of your child's issues and can even consult with his pediatrician to get a full medical history.  After the evaluation, they will give you specific recommendations on how you and his teachers can best help him to meet his academic goals.  You can find a child psychologist in your area in your phone book or by following the link below and entering your zip code.

Best of luck!
Polly Dunn, Ph.D.
Licensed Child Psychologist
www.ChildPsychMom.com
Twitter www.twitter.com/childpsychmom
Facebook www.facebook.com/childpsych
0
0

molls
molls writes:
I would really talk this over with your school's intervention team-not just the teacher. Simply retaining your child to repeat the same things is not going to help all that much. If he is to repeat...different teaching and/or interventions need to be made. Sure he'll gain more knowledge as he grows and matures over the summer but it can't just be "more of the same" as far as instruction goes. You need to really press them on what they will do to help him improve exponentially; if he is, in fact, that far behind his peers.

0
0
guccimom
guccimom writes:
I feel he should move on and if he needs extra help they can put him in an ese class. my so was retain in the 2nd grade because his teacher was plain out predudice and really did not know what she was doing she use to teach a kg class and was switched after the second semester to teach second grade my child has epilepsy and sometimes regress they held my child back saying he could not read but his outward acedemic performance was good all they had to do is work with him because he did know how to red but he was having seizures. pissed off mom dont let them although they have no child left behind the are leaving people child behind.

0
0