concernedparent5
concernedpa... asks:
Q:

My son is in Kindergarten and has behavior problems and doesn't do his work in class. Where do I start and what should I do?

In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

We would encourage you to start right there in school with the kindegarten teacher.  Ask him/her if this is normal and what the teacher may advise to help these behavior problems.  If the kindegarten teacher does not know how to proceed, than we would recommend getting in touch with a child psychologist and letting them know about the situation.  They will be able to then provide an assessment and help you figure out some strategies to help your child succeed in school.  With the wide range of different things that could be going on in this situation, I am hesitant to try and provide feedback.  It may be ADD, ADHD, a medical problem, or any other number of things.  Please be patient with the situation and always try to provide positive reinforcement when he is behaving well.  Catching them being good is just as important as catching them being bad.  

Please take care and if you would like to discuss this situation further, please call our hotline.

Counselor, Dominic
Boys Town National Hotline-A resource for parents and teens
1-800-448-3000
www.yourlifeyourvoice.org

1
0

Dr.Monika , Child Professional writes:
Start by making an appointment with your son's regular health care provider.  He or she will be able to direct you as to what to do to get your son help.

Occassionally, behavioral problems in children are caused by medical problems, such as thyroid disease, diabetes, or lead poisoning.  Your son's health care provider will be able to rule them out and help you in finding a pediatric therapist.

0
0
smart-jojo07
smart-jojo07 writes:
I don't have an answer but I want to let you know that you are not alone.  I am having the same problem with my kindergartener.  He does his work but also misbehaves and talks in class quite a bit.  i applaud you for looking for the answers. I am also struggling for help with him. My son has been evaluated and has no ADD or any special needs.  I am frustrated.  I want to help him.  I believe it is me needing the help in parenting.   I know the solutions are out there, we as parents must just keep searching for those answers for our kids until we find them.  Don't give up...no matter what or who doesn't help or gets in your way.

0
0