Anonymous
Q:

Is is ok to let my son, who has LD, get a part-time job during the school year?

My high school son wants to get a part-time job so he has more spending money. He has a LD and I’m worried that this job will interfere with his schoolwork. Shouldn’t he just focus on his schoolwork right now?
In Topics: Chores, allowance, and money management, Learning disabilities

|

DrSheldonHorowitz

You are wise to worry about how an after-school job might detract from your son’s study time, but it’s important to remember that success is not just about getting good grades.

A part-time job can provide him with an opportunity to do something he likes, that he can do without support or constant scrutiny and feedback, and that will reward him with some pocket money. What could be better than that! Of course you need to make sure that the time spent away from school activities is not interfering with homework, preparing for exams, and completing long-term projects and assignments.

Why not set up a calendar that helps him (and you) keep track of responsibilities at school and on the job? As long as he can be proactive and plan head about getting his work done and keeping up his grades, a job sounds like a great way to get valuable experience that will help him make a smooth transition from high school to college or work. And remember…. LD does not take vacations or park itself in school or at a work desk at home.

For information about disclosing LD to an employer, tips to success in the workplace, and LD across the lifespan, visit the LD.org website.
5
0

LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
I guess you have to decide what qualities you want your son to have as an adult.  Sometimes being "brainy" and well educated isn't enough to get through life.  I know many unemployed brilliant adults.  I truly believe that having an incredible work ethic is an amazing quality in a person.  A person who isn't afraid of getting their hands dirty, hard-working and ambitious are the best qualities you can ask for your child.  A good work ethic, learning to work together with people of all diversities, being kind and helpful and having great social skills usually lead to successful adults.  Your son would like to be well rounded and I admire his work ethic already at such a young age.  You are very very lucky.  Adults with learning disabilities often have a tough time keeping down a job due to executive functioning weaknesses which include, organization, management and memory deficits.  Exposing him at a young age to these dilemmas - will probably help him problem solve these particular situations later in life.  This could well be an experience that will help him grow and prepare for the challenges in life.

0
0
scottbrandon
scottbrandon writes:
I think part time job will interfere with his school studies. Did you ask him for what purpose he want to earn more money when he get pocket money to spend? If he stated earning, then his spending will also increase and this will be harmful or distract him from his school studies.

0
0
Anonymous