TammyM
TammyM asks:
Q:

My son learns best through music.  How can I help him learn to read and write?

My 4 year old has absolutely no interest in learning!  However, he can "sing" the alphabet - even though he can't say it.  He learned to spell his name by a song I made up for him.  I'm looking for other ideas to help him with writing and recognizing his letters, numbers, shapes, colors, name, etc.  It seems that he learns best thru music.  Does anyone have any ideas?
In Topics: Preschool, Learning styles and differences

|
kellysfinn
kellysfinn , Parent writes:
Hi Tammy,

There might be some fun hands-on multi-sensory learning activities in our perschool activity section to check out.  

Learning by using multiple senses makes a ton of sense for a preschooler- whether it's hearing, touching, or moving.  I think it is fun to practice writing by getting a little messy! Spray shaving cream on a table to practice tracing letters or fill a small tray with sand and trace in the sand.  You can listen to music at the same time!

0
0
Shynot2
Shynot2 , Caregiver, Parent writes:
I have a 14 year old boy with ADHD and I had a similar issue with him when he was younger. It sounds like you are on the right track.  I would suggest that you continue to use music.  Look for music books that have lyrics in them and teach him the words to his favorite songs.  That will help him learn his letters and numbers.  If you can't find the lyrics you can continue making up songs about the concepts that you want to teach him.  You could also consider teaching him to play an instrument, a simple one like the recorder.  That would also help him with his letter recognition. I hope this helps.

1
0