kathyaze
kathyaze , Parent asks:
Q:

Will my son receive the same help as before even if the Diagnostic of Mild Autism is taken away after 2 years?

My son was Diagnose with Mild Austism when he was 2 1/2 years old, he received a lot of educational help like special school and speech therapy. But, now with 4 1/2 years the diagnostic was taken away by a Pediatric Neurologist and a Psychologist, he is going to kindergarten next fall. I wonder if he will be under IEP and Integrated class, because he is used to small class and receiving more personal care, the transition will be difficult for him is they send him to a normal classroom with 35-40 kids. I'm really concern about this, I dont want my son to be left behind.
In Topics: Special needs, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Please feel free to ask for a meeting of the school early intervention team to understand exactly what the current status is with your child's education.

For legal explanations of special education you may wish to go to http:/www.WrightsLaw.com

Good luck to your son this coming school year.

0
0

javigent
javigent writes:
It would actually be odd for a school system to take away a label of autism unless they are actually saying that they may have labeled him incorrectly at 2 1/2 years old. (I assume it was birth to three/pediatrician who actually gave him the diagnosis). If he goes to school without a label then he will not have an IEP but if currently has a program in place, they should (the team) have had a transition meeting in order to get him into school and put a program into place for him, let you know what his label is currently and outline specific goals and objectives for him for the upcoming school year. As well as updating you on his current progress from preschool and giving you the accommodations that will be put into place in the classroom. If they are going to change his label from Autism then they will also have to have a meeting to let you know that they are changing or dismissing him from any special services. It sounds like you may have had that meeting and if they have dismissed him, he will not receive anything special other than what if offered to regular education children. I would contact the Psychologist at the school he is going into or the director of special education services for your district in order to discuss what can be done for your son. I hope this helps! (I'm a special education teacher)

0
0
dgeraghty
dgeraghty writes:
Firstly once your child has been Diagnosed with ASD it just does not go away it is a life long dissability. The diagnosis is made by several medical professionals any  change in routine can have a dramatic affect on cause anxiety to an ASD child I would as a parent question why was the diagnosis given in the first place and why was it taken away?

I hope all goes well for your son and he gets the support that he will need for his transition into school life as this could throw up some problems for you as a family.

My son was diagnosed with Aspergers at the age of 10 this was  because  the older he got the more problems associated with ASD were more evident and his developement was lagging behind with his peers his sensory system became more intence and he distanced  himself from social activities and he was very ridged in his routines and thoughts.

My son is now 17 and has just started his A level exams in History Politics and Economics although he really did not  like school and at times refused to go I never stopped stressing the importance of education He has turned into a lovely young man He still continues to attend 6th form and when he gets home he separates school life and home life He has gained fantastic strategies to cope and fit in.

Good luck

0
0