gsggupta
gsggupta asks:
Q:

My son does not remember any thing. What should I do?

My son he is 6 year old. He is in k.g. standared in dayboarding school. Today I went to school for result. The school head said to me that they are not promote him to next class because he is not ready for next class. I am very puzzled about my son. Please give me suggestion. What should I do?
In Topics: School and Academics, Cognitive development, Motivation and achievement at school, Helping my child with social studies / history

|
kibbybono
kibbybono writes:
I would ask specifics about why he is not ready, trained teachers can help you determine if he is immature, or there is a possibility of a learning disability. Learning disabilities sometimes have to do with how information is processed. It could be something as simple as a needing more sleep, or having a sensitivity to a type of food. Many children are sensitive to red food dye, and one sympton is failing to focus.  Does he listen at home, if not try this system when giving instruction. Stop, touch his arm (not grab or hold, just touch) look him in the eye, give him the instruction, and ask him to tell you what he is going to do.  At 6 I would make sure I praise him when he completes the task.  This does take longer, but it our busyness we sometimes fail to make sure we are understood, (or doing it ourselves because it is faster),  Good luck

1
0
PaulaE.
PaulaE. writes:
Repeating kindrgarten is not the end of the world. Do not make a big deal of it. Do not even say anything to him like he failed or is epeating.  A lot of times they don't even realize they are repeating when they are in class the following year.
You did not fail as a parent. A lot of boys repeat K. Everybody matures at a different rate.
To help.  Read aloud to him everyday. Dr. Suess is a great way to learn phonics. Bill peet has great stories. Goodnight Moon  and Brown Bear Brown Bear are great for repettive sounds. Hearing vocabulary is developed way before reading ability. Learning and repeating simple songs and nursery rhymes help in learning common word order and phonics. Also read aloud longer books like Charlie and the Chocolate factory.  Then you and him can make up your own stories orally and written.
Can't sit still or wait his turn?  Go buy old fashion board games. Candyland, Chutes and Ladders and HiHo Cheerio are a few. Don't use anything electronic. You want the slower pace. Play the games everyday with him.  Learning how to sit and wait for his turn, how to deal when something unexpected and bad happens (like getting stuck on the black spot in Candyland) and having face time with another person will help him deal with classroom rules.

0
0
Anonymous