Anonymous
Q:

Should my son take the SAT II exams?

We have a rising senior and he is applying to colleges. He has taken the SAT exams and did well.  And will take the ACT exams in September.   However, I thought it might be worthwhile for him to also take the SAT II exams.

Does anyone know about the benefits of a student taking the SAT II exams if it is not required by most of the schools he is applying?  (Some recommend it, but most do not.)

For the record, he has wants to pursue a career in law enforcement, has a good GPA and has taken AP courses.  He also is applying to many out of state schools.

Any information would be of value.

thank you!
In Topics: College admissions tests

|
bob , Parent writes:
My daughter just took a couple of SAT II subject tests (math and physics) because the colleges she is applying to recommended them.  She studied A LOT for them, especially Physics, and scored very high.  I think the bottom line about the SAT II tests is this: only do them if you think you can do really well.  Scores in the mid/high 700s will open doors at colleges for you.   If you're not so good at writing, don't take the writing test.  Use the tests to show your strengths, but also study like crazy.

Getting into the good colleges is a competitive process.  Anything your son can do to differentiate himself will help him get accepted, and the SAT II tests, in my opinion, will make that difference if he studies hard and tests well.

1
0
happensw
happensw writes:
You can do that, just file all your needs to the faculty board. They're very open to foreing educated students now. Notwithstanding an amazingly gifted students and natural ability of any human to study, I'm concerned that it doesn't bring much effect without universities. That nasty establishments, which take all our free time and money were formed only to make us think broader and develop in the proper environment. College days are hard, but cool - you meet so many interesting people, you have an opportunity to expertise your best skills on a variety of subjects. Ok, being a student, I understand those who don't have much time and use pretty good services like those mentioned here http://www.icue2014.org/ for their academic degrees, but it's really ok! The education should be very complex and should include everything - from party-nights to hard exams work! Good luck!

0
0