CABNORTH
CABNORTH asks:
Q:

My son is scared of his kindergarten teacher - Help

My son was loving kindergarten for the first month but then a new teacher came in to teach the afternoon portion of the class.  Unfortunately my son had an upset tummy one day and was gassy. This new teacher then proceeded to humiliate my son and telling him that it was inappropriate to "fart" in public and that if it was to happen again, a note would be sent home.  My 5 year old was terrified and once he got home from school was devastated and cried and cried.  We now have been having a very difficult time getting him back into school both for the morning classes, as well as the afternoon classes.  He cries and refuses to go to school.  As parents, we are exhausted and only want for him to be able to integrate back into school comfortably.  He has expressed that he is scared of his afternoon teacher.  What should we do to get him back into school successfully?  Should we consider half-time school or even home schooling?  He will NEED to attend school full-time at some point.  Is this setting up a poor example for the future of his schooling?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Motivation and achievement at school

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Please consider having a meeting with the school personnel to help ameliorate this situation, including a school guidance counselor. I am sure there is some solution that would be happy to all- including your son.

It could be that an apology from the teacher could go a long way in making this situation better. The teacher may not be fully aware of the impact her/his comments had on your son.

Best wishes-

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

1
0