Danielle
Danielle , Parent asks:
Q:

My son is scared of water.  At what age do kids typically learn to swim?

Wondering what age kids typically learn to swim. I have a son who is terrified dipping his head under the water and I want him to be water safe. How much should I push? Is there a window that will pass where it will be harder for him to overcome his fear?
In Topics: Sports and athletics

|
kellysfinn
kellysfinn , Parent writes:
Hi Danielle,

Has your son taken any swimming classes?  Maybe the formal environment with a teacher will help him overcome some of his fears.

0
0
rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
I think that, as with anything, parental modeling will eventually let your son know that the water is nothing to be afraid of. Try taking him to the pool and making a show of enjoying yourself. That is how my mom got me in the water.

0
0
fritzr
fritzr writes:
I learned to swim when I was three.  My parents had somebody come to our house and teach me the basics in our backyard pool.  The emphasis was mostly on how to stay afloat and not panic.  After I got that down we worked on things like the dog paddle.

0
0
jeffreyevers
jeffreyevers writes:
Hello friend, at the age of six is really a perfect time to learn swim. in that age they can get more flexibility.

0
0