tiffanygammons1972
tiffanygamm... asks:
Q:

My son doesn't want to be in school.

I have a son he is 10 and he has never liked school. We have tried near about everything to get him to enjoy it he has been retained once and they want to again. He struggles in every subject and he just doesn't want to do the work. Homework time takes him about 2 to 3 hours which should take him 30 min to 45 min. I'm just so worried and frustrated in not knowing what to do to turn him around. I want him to graduate, not give up on school.
In Topics: Learning styles and differences, Motivation and achievement at school

|

You do not say if your son has had a thorough psycho-educational evaluation in order to determine any issues that may impede academic success.  If not, you may wish to inquire in writing to your school academic office or School Psychologist.

0
0

mestaples
mestaples writes:
My daughter struggled in public school through 4th grade (she was academically 2 years behind).  We then pulled her out and homeschooled.  It was the best decision we've made.  Within 1 year time she had caught up to grade level. Over these last few years she has developed a love and passion for learning.  Traditional school works for some kids, but not all.  My younger children have never been in public school and are 9 and 10 now. They also love to learn and are way above grade level.  We are able to do a lot of activities that interest them such as museums, nature walks, OMSI science classes and more.  We follow state requirements to give us guidance on age appropriate skills but we can find much more fun, interactive and interesting ways to do it.  We keep them active in sports, volunteer work, friend time, etc.  Is this something you would be willing to look into?  Depending on you state you may even have access to Alternative Learning schools.  He could attend class 2 or 3 days a week and work from home the others.  I could go on and on about the benefits this has brought my whole family.  There are so many options out there.  I hope you can find a way to make you son enjoy learning.

2
0
CaleeBug
CaleeBug writes:
I have a younger 10 year old brother who also doesn't want to do his work...I'm only 13 but I'm still worried because i also want him to succeed as well as my parents so every day we would help and try to make school fun for him by giving him fun worksheets to help him get used to the work.......Hope this helps. Go to the website i added and go to the kids tab and look under the school category

0
0
Fordalease
Fordalease writes:
The kid is what you called overstressed
And he needs a break. Give him a soda
And calm him down and it will be all over
The next day if not then punish him. Here
Is a website that will solve your problem.

0
5
Pjappea
Pjappea writes:
I am not a FT homeschooling parent in fact my son is in in school FT
(although we did spend all of last summer learning together) but think in one sense every parent is a homeschooling parent and I think homeschooling might be an option for your family.

I don't know your schedule, financial situation and/or other relatives who could assist with your son.

I would say that unless the school seems very supportive and very interested in your son's success I would not allow them to hold him back another grade another time and I would change your son's school (you are asking this question in February) as soon as possible.

Once again I am not sure what works best for your family and what the school is like but I think a 10-year-old boy who has had a tough time with school might really flourish being at home with a loving caretaker even if they are doing say 3-4 hours of reading.

And must importantly, ask your son what he wants.
Does he want to leave your school (are there any options for him?)
What state/city do you live in?
Might he want to try another school in the middle of the year?
Does he want to stay at home and be homeschooled (only offer that as an option if it works for your family.)

Good Luck an feel free to message me more since it sounds like you are having a tough time!

Good Luck!

0
1
EllenA3
EllenA3 , Teacher writes:
Please know that research shows retention does not work. Why would more of the same be the answer? There is a reason why yours son does not like school and that is where you should focus. You need to determine why this is so and then you can look for a solution. Good luck.

1
0
sharon40
sharon40 , Parent writes:
I have had a similar situations involving my 7year old son.  He has been know to have his moments were he doesn't want to attend school (public). When he has these moments i have discovered its because hes having a difficult time in class with certain subjects that he doesn't understand, or maybe he feels that his teacher is going to fast. I have also discovered that there are times hes being picked on by someone @ school in class or maybe at recess. My advice would be talk with him try to find out why he feels this way, most of the time they hold it end thinking that they will get in trouble if they tells. A sure your son let him know that this isnt the case. I would also have a talk with the teacher about your child be sure to ask questions, for example where he sits in class? Is he near anyone that might distract him from learning? Have the teacher move him closer to the front or away from others that may distract him. Find out what his grades are in his subjects and the weakness are in those subjects. Turn those activities in to fun games/lessons at home. There are some really good educational sites on the web.I use those myself not only to make learning fun, but to help teach my children. There could be many reasons your child is having problems. I have 2 other children ages 3 and 1. My oldest son feels like hes not getting enough attention or getting a change to do anything one on one with you or family. There 's many reasons. I'm not expert, but i hope my suggestions help. Don't give up stay strong! your not alone.

0
0