chelleyboo
chelleyboo asks:
Q:

Can anybody help my son on his science fair project on which melts the fastest: ice cream or yogurt?

My 11yrs. old son need help in his science fair project on which melts the fastest ice cream or yogurt. Can anyone help him on his purpose, hypothesis, procedures, results, conclusion, and recommendations? He need it today 2-22-2010. His project is due on tomorrow 2-23-2010. Please help him in any way possible. I really do appreciate everything.
In Topics: Science fair

|

greenprof2

Hi -
you defeat the teacher's purpose for the assignment if you simply provide the answer for your son. If he has been instructed by the teacher, at 11 he should be able to do this. You can help him by prompting him but it would be bad judgement just to supply the answer. I'd ask questions like: "what is an hypothesis?" "Is it the same as a prediction?" "Which do you predict will melt the fastest?" "How can we test your prediction in a fair way?"

For your own information, hypotheses are often framed like this: "If so and so is done, thus and so will happen." The pattern is "If...is done, ...will occur." For a fair test the same amount of ice cream and frozen yogurt will be used to start, and will be at the same starting temperature.  I hope this helps - good luck.  Michael Bentley, Expert Panel in Science Education

1
2

Hi, I previously shared some resources to help you and your son better understand the scientific method and how to structure his science fair project, in answering your question here: http://www.education.com/question/11yrs-son-science-fair-project/

Now that I know which science experiment he is doing, here are some additional suggestions I'd offer...

First, which does he think will melt faster: the ice cream or the frozen yogurt? The answer to that question is his hypothesis.

In terms of procedure, I found a science fair experiment testing which brand of vanilla ice cream melted faster. You could adapt this experiment by substituting frozen yogurt vs. ice cream: http://www.fellowshipch.org/pcasfjaron05.html

The results and conclusion will depend on the experiment.

Looking ahead, for future school projects: I would also suggest starting the project weeks or days before it is due, and talking to the teacher about any specific guidelines or questions your son has.

Good luck -- I hope all goes well with this science exploration.

2
0
0237306
0237306 writes:
ice cream  trust me please my daughter had the same project and she got 1 place! so happy for her yaya

1
0