Mbow
Mbow asks:
Q:

How can I help my son with science project?

I have a son that has a science project in the 3rd grade, please can you share with me any online information relating to this project.  - What's the best way to stop cut fruits and vegetables from turning brown? Thanks
In Topics: Science fair, Helping my child with science

|
laurenf
laurenf writes:

Here's an article about that very same science project. Hopefully it'll answer your questions. Good luck!

0
0
23yrs.
23yrs. writes:
I've taught science in elementary for over 20 years.

First of all, it's your son's project, not yours, so relax. You can help him think it all through, but let him do the project. Does he have any ideas which fruits and vegetables he wants to use? Why those? Has he seen them turn brown and wants to find a way that he can help you out after you cut them? That could be a great money-saver for you (this is the "Purpose" of the experiment - why he wants to do it). You may want to use the fruits and vegetables that you use at home to do a little "pre-experiment" research. You (not your son) will need to cut all of them and see how long it takes each one to brown. Don't use any for the project that don't brown. Make a chart with a list of each fruit or vegetable he is using going down the left side. Across the top of the chart, write down "nothing added," and each of the things he wants to try, such as lemon juice, vinegar, etc. At this point, he will want to think up a "Hypothesis," which is his "scientific guess" about which ingredient will work the best for most of the fruits and vegetables. Then do the experiment for all of the fruits and vegetables with all of the ingredients one set at a time. I think I'd only choose about 5 things to test and 4-5 ingredients to try on them. The "Analysis" is all the record-keeping that he does (be sure he does his own writing) and the "Conclusion" is for telling how his hypothesis and results matched. Was the hypothesis correct? Why does he thing that?

0
0