ginamarie
ginamarie asks:
Q:

Why does my son always sleep with an object in his hand?

My son is five.  At first I never noticed, but as her got older I realized that he never goes to sleep without something in his hand.  Whether it's his new toy or the remains of one, my son never goes to bed without an object in his hand, and he will fuss until he has something.  Why is this?
In Topics: Sleep and rest

|

In pediatrics we call those objects "props"  They are soothing just like your pillow type may be to you.  They are normal at five years old and for some time.  The "props" often disappear when sleep overs start or camp or peer activity.

0
0

SarahRubar
SarahRubar writes:
It might just be something like a little security. Little kids like that have teddybears, security blankets, something to hug to help them feel better. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, personally. I slept with my teddybear when I was little, as did a lot of people.  I'm not an expert or a child psychologist, but I would still think that it's pretty well normal and is just security so they don't feel alone. :)

0
0
Hi ginamarie,

I agree with Sarah...I think it's pretty normal for kids this age to have a security object(s).  My kids (3 & 5) both rely on them on-again / off-again.  As long as he's not too obsessive about it I wouldn't worry!

0
0