BokRoy23
BokRoy23 asks:
Q:

My son didn't make the soccer team. Out of 18, 14 made it. The other 4 kids have to come to regular practice next month to compete for 2 spots.

My son has been on a club team for a year. Rec before that.  Last year, fall and spring tryouts, everyone that tried out made the team. We had several different coaches and now another new coach is taking over. The old coach evaluated all the kids the first day.  The new coach got to watch the boys for two 1.5 hour sessions.  The old coach did not have input into selection. All the boys didn't come to the 2nd and 3rd sessions but mine did. The team director made the phone calls and told parents that either your son made the team or that your son didn't make the team but needs to come to regular practice next month where he will be with the other kids that made the team and evaluated for the remaining two spots.

How do I tell him that?  How does he hold his head up and do that when now all his friends will know that he didn't make the team?  I'm surprised at my anger. I don't think this was handled well. If the coach wanted to evaluate the boys more why didn't he call a special session and just have half the entire group of boys come to one and half to another? Then he could have just made his decision. Or he could even have tryouts again next month for the remaining spots. Not make them come to practice.
How do I tell him? What should he do? Should we talk to the coach?
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Sports and athletics

|

MissEducated
MissEducated writes:
This presents a wonderful opportunity for your child and the entire family to learn about management.

It appears you have invested a lot of time, cash, and emotion into a poorly run system, which has poor management, and have received the predicted arbitrary result.

Teach your children to avoid such circumstances in the future, and overall this will be a net benefit for your family.

If possible look for opposing teams, with better winning records, and better management. Speak to the coaches on those teams, see if you son has an opportunity to work with them. Even if it involves some travel.

Nothing will make your son happier than beating the team that rejected him. To continue with this nonsense will only jeopardize your child imo. Even if he does get into the team, it appears to be poorly managed. Why put a kid into a badly managed organization.

0
0