GouinM asks:

My son was supposed to join the military. And now he can't. He wants to move back to WA state and go to college.

Our son was to join the military and because they think he has asthma he got medically discharged before he even went to boot camp. Our family recently retired and moved to SC to live with grandparents while his dad obtains his degree. So now my son wants to move back to Washington and go to school. Where do we start? He wants to go to community college there and then finish up at a 4 year. With Fafsa does he need to be living with us? Or in the state we are in? He wants to start in fall 2013. I'm not sure we/he can afford any of it. We are living with my parents to pay off bills. Our son was supposed to join the military. Not sure if we can just finance all of college. Help.
In Topics: School and Academics, Financial planning for college, Getting ready for college
> 60 days ago



Nov 8, 2012
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

He must feel discouraged after making a commitment. He needs to determine if he can qualify as a resident of WA; otherwise he will be out-of-state and pay higher tuition. There are many factors involved with college enrollment- career choices, community college vs university, size ans location of the school, and costs.

Since you are living in SC, he should talk to a counselor at a local community college to determine career choices, financial assistance, and other options. College counselor are an excellent resource and will help him in making better decisions based on what he wants to accomplish.

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely