cmg123
cmg123 asks:
Q:

My son's teacher wants him to repeat kindergarten due to his age.

My five year old son began kindergarten this year at a private school. I was not aware when enrolling him that redshirting was a common practice at this school. My son has an Aug bday and is small for his age. His teacher agrees that academically he is ready but that he is too young. Many of the children are a year older than him. He looks forward to going to school everyday and is completing his work and homework without trouble. He even occasionally asks for extra work. He is looking forward to going on to first grade next year with his friends. He has had one temper tantrum at school and been spoken to for two other minor behavior issues. We do not feel this is excessive. Every time we speak to his teacher she says he is just too young for kindergarten. We feel that her opinion is affecting the way she interacts with our son, she expressed this, to me in front of him at least once already. We have two older children that transferred to this school for the current school year due to their school closing. We do not want to interrupt their education any further. We live in a rural area and our children are already traveling more than an hour to attend this school. Sending them to different schools would be very difficult.  
Member Added on Dec 19, 2009
He is already reading and spells many words on his own. He counts past 100, and is capable of doing simple addition and subtraction problems. We are afraid that repeating kindergarten would make him bored and cause him to lose interest in learning.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|
Akshay
Akshay writes:
My son also been in 1st grade could do division but I simply don't agree
to make him to his syllabus ie 3rd grade because a higher class could make him feel stress. I believe that making kid prepare for their further syllabus could be useful to them in future and i suggest that you should teach things of his further class now and make him perfect for future.

2
4
tata42w
tata42w writes:
YOU SHOULD CONFIRM WITH AN ADULT (PRINCIPLE) ON THE SITUATION .

2
1
Relle
Relle , Student writes:
You should go to a principal.

0
2
prcsanglash
prcsanglash writes:
First of all if your child is doing as well as you say then there is no reason for him to be held back. Secondly, his teacher should never have said anything in front of him that could have easily discouraged him and made him want to fail at what he was doing. If you have concerns with how the teacher is interacting with your child maybe talk to the principal and explain the situation. Keep a document recording things. I have done this in the past for my daughter when we had a similar problem with her teacher. I also showed up at the school around dismissal time and would sign in and go to her classroom to see what was going on without her teacher knowing I was coming. These helped tremendously.
I hope you do advance your son to first because by the sounds of everything there would be no reason for him to remain in Kindergarten.

1
0
smilez
smilez writes:
I think that he should be able to go to th 1st grade he has as much rights as everyone else does. she had no right to say anything in front of him.

1
1
momofthreeboys
momofthreeb... writes:
You as the parent knows your child better than any teacher or staff, you should do what you feel is best for your child. if you feel he is doing well enough to go to the next grade than do it. Don't let the teachers tell you what they feel is best they are only with them 5-6 hours a day you have him all the other times.

0
0
englishmomincalifornia
englishmomi... writes:
I am in a similar situation. My son is the youngest in a class where redshirting is also common practice.  
From the information you've given I don't think you would be doing your son any favors by having him repeat kindergarten. He is coping with the work that is expected of him, he has made friends and is looking forward to moving on to the next grade with those friends. The only issue seems to be that his teacher says he's too young! What does this mean exactly? The only time it will be an issue for him is when all his friends learn to drive a year ahead of him! (a long way down the road yet!)
I would quit worrying and remember that by the time they are in 2nd and 3rd grade the majority of children have reached the same level of competence. There will always be the exceptions of course but so long as your child is happy he will do well.
Near the year end I would discuss the options with his teacher and the principlal and maybe ask why "just being too young" is a plausible reason for holding him back, when the law states otherwise. Good luck and I hope this helps!

1
0