scaredkid
scaredkid asks:
Q:

My son was threatened by a student with a knife in class. he told him he would kill him and to look under the desk where he was holding the knife

He was scared and the kid told him if he said anything he would carry out what was said.Finally about 8 o'clock last night he came out of his room in tears and finally told us . We were shocked and we don't know what to do.The kid has been in trouble before and if he says anything, the boy will know who told. What do we do to keep everyone safe? Please help asap
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

You should contact the local police and school officials asap.
0
0

thomas_christensen
thomas_chri... writes:
If it were me i would go to the principle and the child's parents and call in some sort of meeting. this happens at my high school also... get help FAST!!

2
0
Hi scaredkid,

I'm very sorry that you are going through this very scary and tough to handle situation. There is very little information out there for parents who are going through this. While this kid may have been "playing" around, you have no choice but to take his threat very seriously and escalate the situation to keep your son (and other students) safe.

Talk to a school administrator immediately. They should take an action against the child that threatened your son immediately. Also, ask for a written school policy as it pertains to these issues, and read it carefully to determine if the school and administrators are following protocol. If the other child remains at the school, you have the right to ask for a school transfer for your son.

Lastly, if your concerns are still not addressed properly, consider escalating to someone at the district level, an attorney, and law enforcement.

Best of luck,
Alex

0
0
garrettgum123
garrettgum123 writes:
That same thing happened too me!! A guy in my 2nd grade class told me he knew where I live. He said he was going to break in my house and kill me. I was crying. I didn't know what to do. I told my parents. They told me to tell the teacher. It seems the guy who did it to me told the WHOLE class that!! I would tell a police. If yall have a SRO ( School resorce officer ) tell him. He would have to talk to that kid. There would be no escaping from a police officer.

0
0
Zsazsa
Zsazsa writes:
You don't mention any ages in your post but it sounds like younger students are involved. If it is older students, it must immediately be reported to the police (or their representative at his school).

For a younger student, you should immediately go to your school administrator and request an investigation of the incident AND a report back to you of their findings/next steps to prevent a reoccurance.

I would never counsel anyone to go to the child's parents as you have no idea of their reaction. (Think: where did the child learn this kind of behavior? Unfortunately, it begins at home.)

Follow up with the situation and ensure that appropriate steps are taken to prevent a reoccurance. Remember, your child should not be moved from the class and placed into another classroom.  He has done nothing wrong in this situation. He was the victim.

The offender is the only one who should have a consequence in this situation and it may involve him being moved to another classroom OR a different school!

0
0