sbishop asks:

My son has just turn 4 years old and he is not fully potty trained.  He can control his bladder but not is bowels. What can I do as a parent to help?

In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Physical Health

First, ask your pediatrician if there is any medical reason. Second, toilet him daily at the same time for a short time. Reward successes only. Third, be sure he has fiber in his diet to encourage movements and enough water.  Finally, if pre school won't take him in diapers, let him know.  That often is a motivator.

Best wishes.

kkeele writes:
I started with Freakonomics! The movie was on Netflix. The guy is a economics type person and he mentioned how he had realised how hard his wife was having potty training their daughter. So he bribed her. Said for every successful trip to potty she would get candy. She was trained in three days. So I took my clipped out coupons for candy and found Starbursts on sale and bought 2 large bags of em thinking that my 3 year old will join in since my 4 year waited till he was ready. I started giving them 1 piece each time they went and this is day 1 for me and they have both been awarded 3 times today. and it has been 9 hours. I did have 1 poop his pullup but so far were doing good!