BrianandNoah
BrianandNoah asks:
Q:

My son is one year old and I want to know how many naps in a day is healthy?

In Topics: Sleep and rest

|

Most one year olds nap twice a day. One long one in the am and a shorter one in the pm.  Total sleep is usually 14-16 hours in 24 hour day.  However, there are larks and there are loons. Some children get by with "quiet time' and not a real nap.

0
0

lms1949
lms1949 , Teacher writes:
I had to chuckle at this question. Not because I don't think it is a serious question. But rather because my mother asked the very same question of my pediatrician over 60 years ago. His answer back then was, "Don't question it. Consider yourself lucky!"

I have always been a nap taker, an early to bed kind of guy, and was almost always sleepy and tired growing up.

Fast forward to the present day when we know so much more about the human brain and our need for quality sleep, and you'll find that I don't function quite as well as I did when I was younger, and the lack of quality sleep has a greater impact on my quality of life.

Ask your pediatrician this question and fill him/her in on why you are concerned. Ask for a referral to a pediatric sleep specialist if you still have concerns.

0
0