Kazandre
Kazandre asks:
Q:

How do I get my son's high school to give him special help?

We have near exhausted our funds on tests for him since 6yrs and he's about to turn 14! And still no proper answers apart form ADHD which his teacher of 2yrs and a family friend who is also a teacher are convinced he does not have, they both think he has Aspergers and I tend to agree but apparently he cannot be as he is too affectionate towards us for that diagnosis so my frustration is what is it then as have tried everything and IEP's but he still cannot take anything in or understand things and is so embarrassed to keep asking for help but he is not a badly behaved child but will be soon enough as not learning and starting to really dislike school as he thinks he is not smart enough! We know he does not understand common things as he is a concrete thinker and takes everything so literally and has problems understanding social cues and behavior.  I am so frustrated and do not want him to learn nothing and then not be able to get a decent job when he is a strong, capable and willing boy at any chores at home or anything physical or outdoors. Having him tested for dyslexia in Jan as last time they looked at this they said borderline? What do I do?
Member Added on Nov 28, 2012
I just wish someone could tell me how he needs to be taught?

|

kat_price
kat_price writes:
Does he have a special interest? Is there one thing that really motivates him that he spends hours talking about/doing? Try playing on those interests. Commonly children on the ASD spectrum will have something that they are very interested in and that is how you help them. Have his teachers try to create a lesson involving his interests. It is much easier than it may seem. See if that helps any.

0
0