Jennifer55
Jennifer55 asks:
Q:

Should I tell my sons Kindergarten teacher that he has ADHD?

My son is going to start kindergarten Monday, 8/17. Will his teacher treat him different, from the other children? I do not want him questioned about his medication, he thinks it's a vitamin. I do not want him to think that he has to take it to be good. He's a great kid, he's just extremely hyper, and I don't want him to get in trouble because he can't sit still. It's not his fault.
In Topics: ADHD & attention issues

|

Hello Jennifer55,

Please tell your son's teacher and school health assistant/ nurse that he is taking medication for ADHD.  I can understand your concerns that you don't want the teacher to look at your son with negativity, however, most teachers now understand that ADHD is a medical disorder with possible educational implications.

Also, feel comfortable to share, in private, other things she may need to know about your son.  Such as, he prefers to use a pencil with a special grip to help steady his writing and drawing or he may not feel hungry at snack time because of the medication.
In addition, the organization CHADD has a plethora of materials that you may wish to share with his teacher regarding an ADHD child in the classroom.  Their website is http://www.CHADD.org

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

2
0

ccturne
ccturne , Caregiver writes:
I think your child's teacher has a right to know in case there is a problem.  This way he/she will know why your child is hyper and know its not his fault and cause him to get in trouble at school.  My nephew is very hyper as well as wears hearing aids and I will tell his teachers when he starts school.  I don't want him punished for something he has no control over.  The right thing to do is let his teacher know is is adhd positive.

1
0
rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
Hi Jennifer,
Here is a link to an article on this exact question: "Introducing Your Kindergartener to the Teacher: How Honest Should You Be?"

I hope you find it helpful.

3
0
sare-bear
sare-bear writes:
I think it would be wise to let his teachers know whats going on so that they are better able to handle different situations better if they know is conditions and what meds he takes and the reasons why. If your son takes medition during the school hours leave the medecine with the teacher or up in the office and explain what the meds are for and to whom they go to and let the teacher know that you did drop them off and what time your son needs to take them.

0
0
good2bgood
good2bgood writes:
I think you should let her know about his hyperness but don't tell her about his ADHD unless you're 100% comfortable with it. In reality she will treat him differently. She will even think of him differently. He'll be 'that kid with ADHD' and you don't want him to be labeled like that. Letting her know he's hyperactive without mention of the disease should be sufficient. Good luck and I hope it works out.

0
1
Brazil
Brazil writes:
yes you should tell the teacher b/c you do not want any problems with the work. she might treat your son different but you can try to explain  that you would not want that to happen.

0
0
Sarie
Sarie writes:
YES! As a kindergarten teacher and a mother of a kindergartner with ADHD, I say absolutely share this and any other pertinent information with your child's teacher. I much prefer having as much information about every child, but especially ones that have special needs.  Be sure to tell the teacher what works and doesn't work with your child and any terminology you use to describe your child's behavior, medication, consequences, etc. For example when my son gets so wound up that he can't settle down, we call that the "red zone."  Unless your child has a first year teacher, the teacher will have undoubtedly had experience with other children who have ADHD. I don't think many teachers attach a stigma to children with ADHD.  In cases of special needs, it is especially important to maintain  an open line of communication. Kindergarten is the year of transitioning into school and adjusting to school life.  It will take both of working together to ensure your child has a successful and positive kindergarten year. You wouldn't go to the doctor without telling the doctor about your existing conditions. Don't go to school and expect the teacher to work with your child all without such essential information. If the teacher knows, she can adjust instruction to accomodate your child. I usually use a behavior chart that breaks the day into smaller sections for my kids who have ADHD, and now my son's teacher does the same for him. Note: I always call them kids with ADHD not ADHD kids, and I never say my son is ADHD. He has ADHD, but ADHD does not define him or any other child who has ADHD.

1
0